Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I have a big problem on my card. I have a power drain of 201 miliamps and cannot find it .the only unusual thing that can be observed are the cluster instruments .When i close the car from remote control the cluster board switches off after 10 minutes,which is normal,after 20 minutes they switch on,they stay on for 10 minutes then they switch off. Can please anyone help. I`ve been to 2 auto services and they pulled the fuses out and the radio but the draw still remained. the car is a ford focus 2 ,2009 ,1.6 tdci.

Thank you in advance,

Dragos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi ,

I have a big problem on my card. I have a power drain of 201 miliamps and cannot find it .the only unusual thing that can be observed are the cluster instruments .When i close the car from remote control the cluster board switches off after 10 minutes,which is normal,after 20 minutes they switch on,they stay on for 10 minutes then they switch off. Can please anyone help. I`ve been to 2 auto services and they pulled the fuses out and the radio but the draw still remained. the car is a ford focus 2 ,2009 ,1.6 tdci.

Thank you in advance,

Dragos
Actually the power drain is 210 miliamps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am facing the same problem, except mine is draining only 125 mA. I bought a new battery about two months ago and yesterday I could't start my engine anymore (1.6 diesel tDci on focus 2006) so I went to the battery dealer to get it fixed and after showing me the 125 mA standby drain, he told me there was nothing he could do, warranty covering only 6mA drainage. I will also mention that my focus has a passive key, so I figure that the signal might work constantly in case I want to unlock/open any door. then again, I'm no expert.. I have a service appointment on tuesday, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Little Megger
494 Posts
Is your car fitted with keyless entry and if so does it have a starter button or a permanently fitted fob in place of where a normal key would be slotted into the ignition barrel to start?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to make the measurement after 1 hour. The car shuts down the entire system after that period.

When you lock the car, after 10 mins main display shuts down (and the consumption is ~200 mAh), but only after ~45 minutes the whole system is completely off.

I use to have a similar problem. My consumption was ~230 mAh

·
Previous MEG Sergeant
733 Posts
Is your car fitted with keyless entry and if so does it have a starter button or a permanently fitted fob in place of where a normal key would be slotted into the ignition barrel to start?
Just to compound what fordboi asked here, as this is a pretty important question to ask.

My wife's 2006 focus has the permanently fitted fob in place, and if the steering lock is not engaged the battery will drain over night.

·
Previous MEG Sergeant
733 Posts
Hi fordboi,

The little trip screen above the steering wheel stays illuminated even after hours and hours.

Its the one with the permanent fob fitted.

Any advice or guidance please?

·
Little Megger
494 Posts
You require a new ignition barrel. Get in touch with your Ford dealer and they'll be able to build you up a new one. Fairly pricey though I'm afraid. There is a microswitch which is triggered by a flag on the barrel and this will be sticking causing the car to 'stay awake'. Fairly common on these early keyless type cars.

·
Previous MEG Sergeant
733 Posts
Is there no affordable DIY fix? Or is it just a Ford dealer only jobbie?

·
Little Megger
494 Posts
Just to add a bit more info to this. On the ignition barrel is a small flag which will pop out when you turn off and pull out the fob one click. The purpose of this is to contact a microswitch which will engage the steering lock solenoid and put the can network to sleep. Your car is more than likely experiencing this flag sticking at times and either not contacting the switch or only momentarily doing so. Either way a new barrel is the only way forward reliably. Around 220quid when I ordered one a couple of years ago IIRC.

·
Previous MEG Sergeant
733 Posts
Thanks for that.

I have managed to get the TSB that relates to this issue, so going to look into the repair now.

As the keyless system needs reprogramming/updating afterwards, it is most likely a Ford or Ford approved only.

Best start saving up then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts