Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus Titanium 1.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 2015 Focus Estate Titanium developed a power issue.
When I'm traveling on an A road at 70mph in 6th gear and go up an incline, even a shallow one the power fades to 50mph. The other week I came up to the QE2 Bridge where the speed limit is 50mph and by the time I got to the top I was doing 35mph with my hazard lights on.
When I go to work in the morning everything is fine if I stay out of 6th gear. However, if I go into 6th gear and go up an incline it fades in all other gears as well.
Once I reach the top of the incline and get back on the flat the car stutters a couple of times and it's business as usual. On the flat or going down hill it absolutely flys. The slightest of degrees of up in the nose and the power fades again.
I googled the problem of power fade and there were 3 possible issues.
1. Dirty fuel filter. I had that changed £62.50 with my local garage.
2. Vacuum in the fuel tank. My local garage told me to fill the tank to the brim and see if it still did it on a hill. It's did. They said its not a vacuum issue.
3. Dirty air filter. Car was serviced 6 months ago when I brought it by the car sales.
I took it back to my local garage and was told "They think" it's an injector not opening. £350.00 per injector, and they advise all 4 changed. Plus £100.00 for a spill kit ????? What ever that is, plus labour. So I estimate touching £2,000.00.
Considering the amount of money involved I don't want to say "Yes do it" for the problem to still be there once the injectors have been changed and be told "Well we could have sworn they were the problem" and I'm £2k down and no further forward.
So I have come to you guys.
What are your thoughts
Have you seen this problem before
Is it a faulty sensor
Is it a turbo problem
Or did the garage nail it and its the injectors. If so why does it only happen when it's going up an incline.

Any help would be most gratefully received

Kind regards

Jonathan.

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
800 Posts
injector not opening would, in my view cause a misfire. 6th gear is, in my opinion, a bit high, especially when climbing at 50mph. as its 6 speed, im assuming diesel. i would suggest getting it on a proper diagnostic tool like forscan to see if there are any codes, which would give an indication of anything electrically related that it can sense. although as an aside, has your fuel consumption increased lately, or have you been getting fuel from a different source? some previous cars ive owned would drop 3-5mpg and noticeable power drops even on level ground, if i used Tesco fuel. anywhere else (asda, Morrisons or a big brand like Esso or shell) and all was fine. and im also wondering if there is a brake sticking on slightly (hence the query about MPG) as theyre sometimes unnoticed on level ground by some owners

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it an EcoBoost engine? They seem to sometimes develop problems with the vacuum pump that cause the issues you are describing because the turbo actuator needs vacuum to operate correctly - effectively you are driving without the turbo. I currently have the problem with my 2013 EcoBoost where I have confirmed it is not generating vacuum by measuring the vacuum directly at the pump - mine fluctuates wildly, it should hold steady at 25 inches of mercury when idling. See this video (6 mins shows the vaccum measured directly at the pump):

I tried replacing the valve on the vacuum pump, but the issue remains for me, so my problem must be the pump itself. I've bought a second hand one for £55 and will be fitting it on Thursday.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus Titanium 1.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thank you for that fantastic bit of information. I have someone in mind I think I can trust to look at it for me. Now armed with this information I can hopefully get the problem sorted.
You've made my day. 🤓👍

1 - 4 of 4 Posts