Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about having sooooo much problems to ask... :innocent: but what should the colour of the power steering fluid be? I just had a look at it this evening with a torch and it kind of looks brown in colour...

Is this normal and if not, what should the colour be?

Also anyone know how to drain the fluid out and what's the bleeding procedure? And what replacement fluid should i be looking at getting?

Cheers

Phil

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not too sure about this coz this is my first car... everyone else who took the car for a quick spin all complains about the heavy steering... and when the car is stationary (or moving at very slow speed) just after starting up the engine it will make some squeal noise and some 'feedback knocks' to the steering wheel.

Hence wondering and have a look at the fluid.. and found that it's very brown in colour.... so just want to know....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe the power steering fluid is the same kind that goes into auto boxes and should be red! not sure how to drain it! but knocking noises could be steering pump.

The squeal might be belt slippage! post more detailed info on the knocking and what you do to make it happen.

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
Strawbs said:
I believe the power steering fluid is the same kind that goes into auto boxes and should be red!
happen.
spot on, well thats what mine is.

i had to replace the cooler on mine which is located at the front bottom of the engine, easily accesible from underneath, just undo the bottom pipe and let it drain out into a pot, reconnect pipe and fill slowly, bleed by turning steering from lock to lock slowly { with engine running }, and refill as needed, if you cant bleed it first time { unlikley } then leave for 24 hours and that should clear it, i checked mine after a week and it was fine, no more needed, and no leaks

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right then.. i will try do change it at some point.... thanks for the help.

So changing it is just unclip the hose, let the fluid come out and then fill it up again and bleed by turing the wheels? Is there anything else i should know to avoid having surprises?

Cheers
Phil

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
i believe he ment above pas pump change (not the fluid)and bleeding the air with turning the steering wheel from full lock to full lock a few times.
change of the fluid will not cure heavy steering, but change of pas pump can and also will cure the knocking you are getting especially when parking. (and you can change the fluid when you are doing the pump)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.