Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All and apologies my first post is a cry for help.
I have a 2013 MK4.5 Mondeo 2.0 diesel with powershift woes. It's been a brilliant car until it threw its first errors back in October '20 (i can't recall the codes but they were various solenoids and forks). I did an oil and filter change (the oil was pretty nasty) but the problems went away and it was fine again until January '21 when it got a persistent "solenoid D stuck/performance error" it could be cleared and would drive ok for a while before coming back, changed the oil and filter again, no plastic still, and it was ok again until 3 weeks ago.
Another oil and filter change, still no debris and the oil was nice and clean, but this time it didn't help. I figured i may as well bite the bullet and change the solenoids, when i stripped it down the magnets in the gearbox were pretty well coated with the usual very fine metal, like grease, but there was no sign of any plastic.
Reassembled and worked fine for a week until i floored it up a hill and it came up transmission error and wouldn't reset. Forscan showed P0766. Stripped it down and this time stripped out the valvebody which was all clear. Reassembled and did clutch and fork learn. Again, ok for a few days then P0766.
Stripped again, still no debris but now it really bangs when selecting drive to the point it stalls the engine, only even gears available. I can clear the error and it will be ok for a few passes through PRND and then "bang" and the engine stalls or bogs down and throws the "transmission limited function" error P0766, totally undriveable. The car only has 55K miles on it. I'm at the point its the clutch pack but so many strip downs/oil changes and no debris? Anyone any ideas? I reckon i've read every post on here but can't see anything that steers me in a definite direction after everything i've already tried.
Thanks for reading and sorry its long winded, i don't often post to forums as the answers already there are usually enough!

· Registered
1,266 Posts
When you stripped down the valve body do you demagnetize and clear all the solenoids? Or did you buy new ones?

The plastic you keep looking for is signs of the clutches breaking down

The problem you are experiencing is due to a solenoid that is not working correctly. It could be gunked up or it could have failed.

There is a video on youtube of how to clear the solenoids and check they are working.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick answer. I bought new solenoids and tested the resistance before i put them in, they all read at 2.7ohm (i know in the video he's reading them at 3.2ohm but i'm assuming the temperature is the difference) interestingly, the ones i removed all tested at 2.7ohm alongside the new ones. When you read anything about this gearbox it's not long before you see the words "white plastic" so i've been on the look out for them all the time! I was quite happy not to see any but having replaced the solenoids and done so many oil/filter changes i'm not sure what else to check.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I stripped it down again (worrying I can go from shutting the engine off after warming the oil to mechatronic on the bench in front of me in 40 minutes! Practice makes perfect I guess!) and I replaced these "sleeves",
Auto part Cylinder Fashion accessory Titanium Metal

I was covered in transmission fluid so didn't take a photo and they got binned with the rest of the rubbish unfortunately but the one behind the CSPS2 solenoid had some very VERY light scratches on it. So light I couldn't conceive they'd make any difference. But they clearly did as 200 miles of test driving later it's firing through the gears no problem. I'm still holding my breath because I've thought I'd fixed it before but I got the TLF message after 75miles that time.
I now appear to have a duff wheel bearing though (it's possible it's been noisy for a while, it's the wife's car and it's not loud enough to hear it over the radio......). I could fall out with this car if I thought about it too much!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts