Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So it seems I have had an issue with the dipped headlights for a while and never really noticed. Either the dipped headlights aren't working properly or the auto sensor isn't.

So starting with the headlight control in the 'off' position;

I move it to 'sidelights' and a green indicator ( with two lights pointing outward ) appears inside the rev counter and the Convers display shows two beams coming out the front of the car ( is this correct ? ) and the actual side lights come on.

Move it on to the dipped position and nothing changes on the dashboard/Convers and the dipped headlights come on. ( Is there not an indicator for dipped beams ? )

Move it to the autosensor position and nothing changes.

Turn on main beam and an additional blue indicator appears inside the rev counter and the main beams come on.

The dial is left in the autosensor position all the time.

For as long as I can remember this has caused my car to always be driving with just side lights ( but Convers showing both beams coming out the front ) when lights are needed. [ Don't ask why I have never noticed ]

Short term I can just not use the autosensor and use the off/dipped positions but ideally, long term, I would like to get it fixed.

Given the above, is anyone able to shed any light on what the issue might be ? It doesn't seem like a bulb problem and sounds more like a wiring one to me ?

TIA for any help.

· Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
743 Posts
No indicator for dipped beams. In the auto position if there's not enough light all the lights will switch off when the light level drops enough the dip and sidelights will come on at the same time. The easiest way to check is to walk round the car and check what lights are on for each position of the switch.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said, all the lights work when I manually put the dial in the various positions but the auto sensor never turns on the dipped beams ? If the dipped beams are already on then moving the dial to autosensor doesn't turn them off; it just doesn't seem to turn them ON ( in situations when they should be on ) if they are currently OFF

Is that the correct behaviour? Or should the auto sensor turn on the dipped beams as well?

· Super Moderator
31,912 Posts
Does not turn them on the dash or they dont work outside the car in auto mode?

If they dont work outside then maybe its the sensor, had a new windscreen?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Does not turn them on the dash or they dont work outside the car in auto mode?

If they dont work outside then maybe its the sensor, had a new windscreen?
They don't work outside the car in auto mode. If you start the car ( with the dial @ auto ) then all it does is turn the side lights on.

Never had the windscreen replaced. Is the sensor in the windscreen, on the dashboard or in the big black 'box' behind the rear view mirror ?

It may be a coincidence but, if it helps, I can't remember the last time the auto wipers worked either ?

· Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
743 Posts
You need to identify what lights are working when the switch is in auto. You say just the side lights are they in the headlights or does your car have DRLs? If DRLs do they reduce power when it gets dark enough are the rear lights coming on?

If the rear lights and sidelights/DRLs don't come on then it's likely to be the sensor mounted by the rearview mirror.

If the side lights/rear lights come on and the dip doesn't then it may be a fault in the BCM

Yes, the auto wipers are controlled by a sensor by the rearview mirror.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to identify what lights are working when the switch is in auto. You say just the side lights are they in the headlights or does your car have DRLs? If DRLs do they reduce power when it gets dark enough are the rear lights coming on?

If the rear lights and sidelights/DRLs don't come on then it's likely to be the sensor mounted by the rearview mirror.

If the side lights/rear lights come on and the dip doesn't then it may be a fault in the BCM

Yes, the auto wipers are controlled by a sensor by the rearview mirror.
Pretty sure the car doesn't have DRLs but will check.

The weird thing is, the car flew through the MOT the other month Or is the auto sensor outside the scop of the test ?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The MOT tester will only care if the lights work.

I only mentioned DRLs as some MK4's have them. The important thing is to identify what lights come on or don't when the auto setting should switch them on
So, as suspected, the car doesn't have DLRs.

And the starting the car in the 'autoswitch' position only turns on the same lights as when it is in the 'side lights' position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts