Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post - I got my new ST TDCi on Friday. :thumbup:

I am having a problem though. I have installed my "X5 HID Upgrade" which I purchased from Hids4u.co.uk for my Alfa 147 about 2 year ago. Since then I have successfully used it on my SEAT Leon, and now its in the Mondeo. I have changed the 2 fuses under the bonnet, and the one in the central fuse box behind the glovebox.

What happens, when starting the car if the autolamps function is on and the headlamps are "cold" is one of 2 things. Either the car starts perfectly, but one of the lights doesn't fire (I assume not enough power to crank and fire a xenon) or (and this is more serious) the fuse F28 under the bonnet blows and I have no dashboard and the ignition key does nothing.

I am thinking it is the amount of power drawn to crank the engine and ignite a xenon. I could turn off the autolamps, but what is the point of having autolamps if you have to turn them on and off every time you get in the car?

I am therefore thinking of wiring up a relay so that when the key is in the "crank" position it breaks the wire from the headlamp switch "auto" position.

What do you think? Am I crazy or will this work. More importantly, as anyone else had these issues? I am also toying with the idea of moving the kit to my wife's Ibiza FR and purchasing a new kit. This is last resort though as I would have to wait while Feb and can't go without HIDs until then.

Thanks
Dae.

·
Beetle Driver
2,842 Posts
The lights are having problems due to the voltage drop as the car cranks.

I keep my autolights off.

They do have a newer kit that has a slower ramp-up. This may or may not help. I've got one on the way to replace my current set, so I'll see what it's like.

·
Beetle Driver
2,842 Posts
It'll be interesting. I can see you having problems in the cold weather as your car will stick on front and rear screens below about 5 degrees. I don't know if there is any delay on those.

I wonder what they do when they factory fit them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's your timescale for replacing your set? Just so I know how long I have to wait before I know if it's worth ordering them.

Out of interest - which set have you ordered?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It gets worse :sad:

Just noticed that when car is cold that if I start it up (headlamps off) and then immediately switch on the lamps the traction control light/abs lights stay on.

Not sure if it's the lamps that are cold, or then engine if you know what I mean. Think that this xenon set is pulling way too much power. Seems weird though that it worked OK for 2 years on my Leon/Alfa with no probs.

·
Big Megger
372 Posts
I have the same trouble on my mk3. When the lights are switched on, they blink on and off at least 10 times while 'ramping up'.

I think the only way to do it would be a direct feed from the battery, switched with a relay from the original headlight power source!

Cheers

Rich :)

·
Beetle Driver
2,842 Posts
Hi again. I've just picked them up from the courier firm. I bought the trouble car kit.

I'll swap them out at weekend.

My first kit did the warning lights bit and would flash at boot up. The second kit ramps up slower, never triggers the warning lights but they don't always BOTH boot up first try. Third time lucky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Excellent - is this with the autolights switched on or off when starting?

Be good to know if you start the car on a cold morning and then immediately put on the lights what happens.

If all goes well I'll order them on Mon/Tues if you have no probs.

Thanks for your help

·
Beetle Driver
2,842 Posts
No problems with those. Stuck the ballasts on, they kind of tuck into the wings. The starter I stuck on the flat shelf. All this will make some sense once you have the lights off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just fit mine. Mounted on the flat shelves with the sticky provided & some cable ties for good measure!

Which way up are your bulbs? In the manual the white bit on the outside of the bulb (cathode?) is to the top. The bulbs would only fit in the car with it to the bottom. Are yours the same?

Apart from that they seem OK and both fire up when starting car with auto lights on. No warning lights.

Thanks for all your help. I'll stop bugging you now the probs sorted and leave you in peace ! :L

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.