Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a newbie to this forum which is a great source of information, and also a newbie to diesel this being my first i keep seeing alot about blocking of the egr, surely there has to be a reason for this to be there otherwise ford would not have fitted one, what does blocking of the the egr do to the car.

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
The EGR is there for a reason!!

It allows engine manufacturers to meet strict emissions regulations from Europe. Unfortunately it is another example of arseholes in Brussels not living in the real world and car manufacturers fitting parts which are simply not up to the job of doing what they are designed to do simply to please them and get accreditation for their engines. Even green campaigners acknowledge that the EGR valve is flawed as a high percentage of them only function correctly for a short period of time often leading to the engine polluting the atmosphere more than it would have without the valve fitted.

Whoo rant over.

The aim of the valve was to recirculate exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold at certain revs so that the gas would get burnt a second time thus reducing some of the noxious gases and providing cleaner exhaust gas as a result. Unfortunately on the TDCI engine and many others too the soot from the exhaust gases reacts over time with the small amount of oil in the pressurized air coming from the turbo and turns into this nasty oily gunk which will after a time prevent the valve from opening and closing correctly and thus in turn causes the engine to run even more inefficiently and often smoke heavily and consume more fuel.

Many people on this and other car forums (myself included) recommend cleaning out the valve and the inlet manifold (good guide in the Fordwiki) and then blanking the EGR valve to prevent this happening. Some even go as far as blanking both ends of the EGR pipe and removing it altogether whilst others hope regular cleaning will prevent problems from reoccurring or occurring in the first place.

I personally blanked my valve at 70,000 miles as it was filthy and functioning incorrectly and I wasn't prepared to shell out a fair bit of dough for it to happen again so blanked it and left it like that. My plate is still in place and the car has now done 334,000 miles.

Blanking it can and will cause your car to display the engine management light (EML) if your car is Euro 4 spec which I believe is late 2004 on.

Some claim better performance and better mpg from doing this as the engine will now be running on pure clean air as opposed to a mix of exhaust and air. Personally I think it is more to do with helping the engine run correctly than improving performance.

·
1,211 Posts
  • is'nt helping the engine run correctly and improving the performance the same thing?
  • -
  • blocking the burnt - oxegen free and carbon particle rich hot exhaust gasses re-entering the engine and replacing them with cool clean oxegen rich air will improve performance, economy and also help the engine to run correctly
  • -
  • the oily residue does not come from the turbo (not much- unless the shaft is leaking oil) it comes from the engine breather - hot gasses (including piston blow-by gasses) from the crankcase containing burnt air, carbon monoxide and oil droplets enter the air inlet just before the turbo - this is drawn into the intake to contaminate all the hoses past this point (which is'nt that big a deal) - when it hits the cooler insides of the intercooler it condenses and turns to liquid and coats the inside of the intercooler with gunge reducing its efficiency, this oily spray continues on to the EGR valve, where it mixes with the carbon deposits and covers the EGR valve, inlet manifold and ports withe a thick oily sluge that builds up over time
  • -
  • even if the intercooler, manifold and pipes were spotless the the warm oxegen-free gasses/ carbon particles from the breather and EGR have a significant negative effect on the performance economy and smooth running of the engine.
  • -
  • if you-
  • -
  • block the EGR and diverti the breather to stop this and allow only fresh clean oxegen rich air enter the engine
  • -
  • clean (or replace) the intercooler the hoses, the EGR and the manifold/ ports
  • -
  • and completely removie the EGR system - which stops the exhaust from warming the inlet air (even when it is blocked) and the exhaust heat energy being wasted instead of helping the turbine spin up quicker
  • -
  • the engine / car will be significantly quicker, more economical and will run better (correctly) as well
  • -
  • ps- exellent milage - your an example to us all

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replys guy im convince i will block off the egr just one question tho i have a 55 plate 2ltr tdci where is the egr front or back of the engine i will go down the complete removal route so what is the best way to do it.any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update had a quick look ive located the egr, which part do i block the tube that goes to the turbo or the one that comes of the manifold the turbo tube do i block both ends or just egr end and is there anything else i need to do as i say im new to this so in laymans term is better lol.

·
1,211 Posts
thanks for the replys guy im convince i will block off the egr just one question tho i have a 55 plate 2ltr tdci where is the egr front or back of the engine i will go down the complete removal route so what is the best way to do it.any help is greatly appreciated.
On a 55 plate it is liable to be on the front left of the engine when standing in front of the bonnet - you will need a blanking plate for the EGR valve at the front and the EGR cooler at the back
mine was at the back but the EGR cooler is similar -

The blanking plates on fleabay can be a bit thin and can burn through - especially if they are made from aluminium instead of steel
even a thicker plate could burn through eventually - for this reason and to make the engine seem unmodified when the cover is lifted - it may be wiser to leave the pipe that runs from the front to the back in place - if the pipe is blocked at the back it wont heat up so much (blocking both ends is a newish idea - normally they were just blocked at the front)

Just got your message as i was writing this - its the smaller diameter pipe you block that runs along the front then round to the back-right - It gets blocked at the join of the EGR valve - (the larger sized tube) (you can get plates that slot in without taking the pipes or bolts right off)
You can also block this pipe as it joins the EGR cooler (at the back right)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Blocked mine (Euro 4) recently. Did not notice any performance difference whatsoever despite claims to the contrary, and I could not even go 20 miles without the EML coming on, which really annoyed me.

Blanking plate is in a landfill somewhere now. Best place for it, imho.

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
blanked mine, as for performance enhancements, its debatable.
I dont have black smoke pouring out the back of the car fogging the whole road and dont have to think about cleaning the egr or manifold.
EML comes on but i just erase it when i feel like it job done.
Might take it out for MOT or might just erase the EML just before it goes in for test, havent decided yet

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
Yes it is too thin. Needs to be at least 3mm thick and preferably 5mm.

I bought mines from a guy on here called Graeme Welch. Not sure if he is still on here but there was a recent post mentioned he was making em again.

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
the ones on ebay are usually alluminium.
i made my first one out of the the lid of an old metal tool box and it worked well and never melted, i have since got some 4mm stainless ones made but they ended up costing a fortune.

Have a look round if you have any old bits of steel knocking about or buy a piece of small steel sheet off ebay and you could make your own. just take the gasket out and you have your template

·
1,211 Posts
Totalguy is getting 5mm front and rear EGR blanking plates made (for EGR valves at the front) and they will be available to TF members (racebits is suppliing them)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I have read many threads on various forums about egr valves and feel I must be missing something.
I drive a 2003 Focus 1.8 TDCI with 115k miles on the clock and all I did was disconnect the vacuum hose from the valve and bunged an old bolt in the rubber hose.
The car ran perfectly before this and still does, I only did it as a precautionary measure after reading so many horror stories.
Have I done something wrong?

·
1,211 Posts
Hi
I have read many threads on various forums about egr valves and feel I must be missing something.
I drive a 2003 Focus 1.8 TDCI with 115k miles on the clock and all I did was disconnect the vacuum hose from the valve and bunged an old bolt in the rubber hose.
The car ran perfectly before this and still does, I only did it as a precautionary measure after reading so many horror stories.
Have I done something wrong?
I dont think you have done anything wrong - it stops the valve opening, preventing the carbon building up in the inlet manifold etc over time,(as you suggested, as a precautionary measure) its just another way of doing the same thing (EGR disabling / EGR blocking / EGR delete)

The "standard" way of disabling an EGR was to put a ball bearing (fitting tightly) into penumatic valve hose

·
Registered
32 Posts
being a newbie to this forum which is a great source of information, and also a newbie to diesel this being my first i keep seeing alot about blocking of the egr, surely there has to be a reason for this to be there otherwise ford would not have fitted one, what does blocking of the the egr do to the car.
Hi danny

the only thing with doing this is you will only notice a differance if there is a problem with the egr valve in the first place as a good egr valve will work just as good as a removed egr valve, removing a faulty egr valve and fitting a new one or just blanking off where it fits to the manifold will make a difference, hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if its for performance and your car is made before 2004 then a de-catt is the way to go makes the engine more responsive and saves a little bit of juice aswell.

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Decat before 2004? Why not those after 2004? Or do you mean EGR still?

Blanking a brand new and working EGR will still get improvements. It stops the car sucking in dirty
exhaust gas. Keeping the inlet clean and getting a better fuel/air ratio.

Slightly more power and better fuel economy. Probably barely measurable.

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
Decat before 2004? Why not those after 2004? Or do you mean EGR still?

Blanking a brand new and working EGR will still get improvements. It stops the car sucking in dirty
exhaust gas. Keeping the inlet clean and getting a better fuel/air ratio.

Slightly more power and better fuel economy. Probably barely measurable.
I got a brand new egr fitted and stil had smoke pouring out the back. I blanked it and not a whiff of smoke to be seen

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update to blanking my egr, i then reset the ECU and drove the car on and off for about 100 miles and the difference is measurable im now getting 48 mpg and the engine is how can i put it, it feels tighter more alive and very very responsive, so what shall i do next mmmmmm a decate or remove back box decisions decisions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.