Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
living the citrine dream
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just a problem ive had for a while no but its starting to get on my nerves.

i used to have 16" alloys and the steering always pulled to the right,now ive replaced the wheels and had it tracked in many times it pulls to the left just a bit.

when on a straight road i can feel it just pulling a bit and pulling away from jucntions and braking at them it does the same pulls to the left...

to help cure this problem in the last year ive replaced

both wishbones,
droplinks
and the anti roll bar bushes
passenger wheel bearing

also had the drop link ats the rear done as well.she gets a clonk at full turn more so when going backwards,the only give away i might have is when i took the old wheels off i had a thin line on one tyre that was down to the string and the drivers side was balding.and there is a vibration on the passenger side at about 60 mph ...any help would be greatfully received

kevin :L :L

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Sounds silly but are the front tyres matching treads? I used to have a car that pulled to the left, took it to have all the geometry checked and found nothing wrong. Both front tyres were different treads and it was suggested i swap them over. I did so and then it pulled to the right! Got matching treads and cured it! Other wise it could be a bush somewhere that is worn cauasing it to pull, but you said youve changed them so i cant see it. Hmm, sticky caliper maybe? The knocking and vibration could be a worn CV joint. I had this problem on my mk2.

·
Geometry Guru
688 Posts
Many possibilities here mate...
1:This explains the tyre theory http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165
2:The osf down to the wire is camber related. This angle also has a conical compressive force if the partner wheel (nsf) cannot match the force then the car will pull/ push left.
3:A pull under acceleration in one direction then an opposite pull whilst braking (not accelerating) is torque steer. On the Mondeo the criminal is likely to be an engine mount off-setting the drive shafts.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
tracking isnt 0 on a mondeo i think its between 6 and 8 i can check though.

·
living the citrine dream
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alun said:
Sounds silly, could be uneven roads? If you have low profile tyres then it's ususally more prone to tramming, but you probably already know that :L
they are pretty uneven down this way but its the same everywhere i go but is a lot worse on say the aproach to the dartford tunnel where its a lorry lane and the road is subsided a bit

kev

·
living the citrine dream
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slide said:
Considering you've pretty much everything else, I'd put down to tyres. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the tyres.
ahhh you just reminded me there...the last owner had the same prob until he put the 18s on and now his is fine so it might be the tyres....but then again it did it with me old ones as well

kev

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Probably tyres mate.

I had the same problem, got me Geometry done by Tony and the front toe was out but nothing to cause any pulling. The alloys I bought had asymmetrical tyres on, they tramline so badly I can't understand why anyone would want them! The roads around my way are terrible, either have alot of camber or they're full of bumps. When I took the car onto a brand new bypass that was flat with smooth tarmac I had no pulling at all so that confirmed it was the tyres.

Tony told me about the outer band you find on new tyres and what they mean. If the bands are on the same side then you may get a pull. If they are on opposite sides then it should correct any pull. Obviously when they're worn abit the coloured line disappears so you need to keep swapping the wheels around until you find the right combination like I had to. Try swapping one of the rears for the front one on the same side.

Definitely improved alot doing that on mine but cos of the tread pattern I still get a pull. Had me new directional tyres fitted today and I'm hoping this will stop any pulling/drifting I'm still getting.

Think I got that right but Tony would explain it better than me :L

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.