Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Flesh and blood and camoflage
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Have a 1998 R reg 2ltr petrol Mondey. Planned on upgrading my front brakes to the 300mm Mk3 ones. However, am wondering if I can do the same on the back? They are drum brakes at present and in need of an overhaul. Also appear to have damaged a front disc so was going to raid the scrappy and do everything at the same time.

Cheers for any help!

Jaz

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
you will need v6 rear disc hubs, calipers and obviously discs and pads.

Also then new handbrakes (if you dont trust secondhand ones) from Ford which i paid £28 each for.

Im going to look into a bigger rear setup using mk3 rear calipers (will be using mk3 fronts so why not) and if they bolt on then hoping the Focus ST170 (front 300 mm disc setup for the mk3 calipers) usea the same size rear discs as the mk3 so i will have 300 front and about 280 i believe rear.

jcth1

·
2,220 Posts
also if you upgrade the discs then you will either need st200 rims, Zetec 5 spokes or any size alloy which will fit over the brakes.

Some 16''s wont including the ST24 turbines but strangely the 5 spoke ones do.

Also never skimp on brakes. I would never use S/H discs or pads.......Saw you were going to raid the scrappy coz you have a damaged disc.

jcth1

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
For brake discs and such parts i would recommend spend a bit of money and get new ones. Those from the scrappy can be cheap but you would have absolutely no idea what the real condition of the discs would be. And to be honest a pair of new front discs would not be too expensive (unless if you go for the drilled/grooved ones)

Front discs to 300mm Mk3 ones... there are guides around and it should make sense... provided if you change to bigger rims (17" i believe). The original disc size on your mondy should be 260mm front and 228mm drum.

Rear disc conversion... again there is an article in the workshop section. The 'stock' rear disc size for Mk2 is 253mm discs...

One thing you can raid from the scrappy is the rear brake disc shield... other than that don't take anything from the brake system from the scrappy. We don't want to see you on the newspaper or become part of the statistics....

Phil

·
2,220 Posts
Siacelester PT Sent

jcth1

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. Was only going to raid the scrappy for calipers. Will be replacing discs and pads with new, and thought I might just upgrade while I was at it.

The wheels on it atm are just steel and puny little 15ins ones that just look wrong on it. Was planning on upgrading to some 16ins alloys. Provided I get the right ones, the MK3 brakes should fit on the front and the rear drums I can convert to V6 discs? Have I understood that correctly?

:thankyousign: Newbie is not worthy in company of such superior knowledge. :D But hey that's what I signed up for!

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
[quote name=MissZetec2.0]:thankyousign: Newbie is not worthy in company of such superior knowledge. :D But hey that's what I signed up for![/quote]

Haa... same reason over here...

16 inch rims should be fine coz the standard disc size of the Mk3 is 300mm and the smallest available rim option is 16". But i am not sure coz i am only using 15" myself! For front upgrade you can have a look at here Link
and should give u a better overview.

Rear.. do u mean V6 Mk2? If so then the rear disc size throughout the whole Mk2 series is the same... 253mm discs. So for the upgrade you would need what JCTH1 has listed.

Just wondering are you going to get these done yourself or in a garage? coz going to change my discs/pads slightly later on so might just ask as well. :tongue:

Phil

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
siacelestar said:
Just wondering are you going to get these done yourself or in a garage? coz going to change my discs/pads slightly later on so might just ask as well. :tongue:
A bit of both actually! Gotta be awkward me! :p Know a fella who does all me work at me house for me, so am hoping I can help/learn when he's fitting the new brakes. Know very little about maintaining cars, as you can probably tell but am going on a City and Guilds course next month for a good few weeks. I can just about change a wiper blade atm and that gave me quite a bit of satisfaction "Look I fixed it!" so I figure being able to do bigger things would be pretty neat. Not to mention the independence. :D :p

So err yes, rear brakes, only option is 253mm discs will deffo work, 300mm discs might work but doesn't look as if anyone's tried it to find out? That the consensus? :}

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
lucky you! got someone to come down to your place to do the work for you... anyway good luck with the course and hope you would learn more throught all the work and by watching! Maybe the next thing you can change are the air filters... the air filter under the bonnet and the pollen filter...

Right, rear brakes, 253mm discs will do the trick as the rear only takes up around 40% of the overall braking force! 300mm.. well not sure about that but probably you won't be able to find the calipers coz of the handbrake cables! (not sure about that but that's what i reckon)

Phil

·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's my next tiny step in car maintenence - air filter, looks pretty straightforward. Dunno if I have a pollen filter or if I do, where on earth it is. :)

Rear brakes decided on tho, get things put on the list of guff to buy and get going. :D

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
A bit off topic, but air filter - that big black box, undo the clips and change the element - then reverse to fit again.

Pollen filter is under the passenger side windscreen grill, and u need torx screws to get that out. may well post up a workshop post tomorrow when get that sorted.

Hope the coversion goes well and good luck with all the purchasing work!

Phil

·
2,220 Posts
in the states a guy on CEG has 280mm rear disc. I believe this is done with same size calipers (rear)as the mk3 or focus st170 so thats an upgrade aswell.

I would probaly sell my calipers and go this route but i would be keeping the hubs however.

Even though they only do 40% of the braking force i will always have some sort of weight on my rear wheels and he tested them from 0-60-0 and they made a marked improvement on standard discs.

Link To Contour

jcth1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.