Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have a 14 plate zetec business mondeo with radio/nav etc etc in it but it does nothing ie not working not lighting up.
So my question is how do i go about getting a second hand one. Do i need to match all the numbers/letters on the serial number on the back of the unit. Any help would be really appreciated thank you.

· Super Moderator
31,912 Posts
Late MCA unit, same as mine. Checked all the fuses? Did it work before?

Recently bought? Someone may have swapped the unit out for a custom one and not plugged it in.

· Registered
469 Posts
Those MCA units are very resiliant and robust, compared to their successors NX and FX. But in some rare cases their can also be hit by the Dead-RAM problem. Before buying a new one, which could be very expensive, consider to get it repaired.
You can test for the faulty RAMs by removing the unit from the dashboard, disassemble the front part and carefully(!) heat the RAM chips on upper and lower mount of the mainboard with a hair dryer. Keep distance to not melt other parts or connectors, use a mid-power mode only. The chips should heat up to 60 degrees. When you then connect it back to power (not take too long for this) it should start up again.

If that is the case it could be repaired, see my tutorial Fehlerhafte RAM-Chips auswechseln [MK4-Wiki]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts