Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gavin T
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this bad? Ill explain....

The bloke over the road from me gets 20litre drums of diesel from where he works. Apparently he gets an allowance for doing a lot of work/favours for them, but if his van is full he fills the drums instead. Anyway who am i to argue? Because i did him a favour a few weeks back, he gave me one of the drums for free last night when i got home from work. Only thing was, he needed the drum back pronto. This meant that i had to nip inside and get a large funnel i have in the shed, and then with him holding the funnel, going out into the rain and pouring it all in. It was really pi55ing down, and a few rain drops have more than likely found their way inside my tank. Now im panic striken in case its going to cause any damage to the cars already sensitive fuel system.

So whats the general opinion then? Is it going to kill my car or will it be ok?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gav,

I've got a few 20ltr drums knocking around here, you can have one for next time.

I can't see it affecting the fuel system, even though it was raining hard last night the amount of rain that would of got in would surprise you.

If the car run on that diesel from SH depot then I can see this effecting it...

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,083 Posts
Don't diesels have some sort of filter for removing moisture from the fuel? I'm sure our old LDV Convoys at work had this. A warning light would come on and something would need emptying?

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,416 Posts
HJS said:
Don't diesels have some sort of filter for removing moisture from the fuel? I'm sure our old LDV Convoys at work had this. A warning light would come on and something would need emptying?
I thought that. I've heard that theres a screw on the fuel filter that you turn to drain away the excess moisture.

·
smoggy
289 Posts
I am sure it will be ok as diesel has a high water content anyway,

was told before that you could in theory put a lit match into diesel as there is that much water in it!
wouldnt like to try tho

·
It was 49.95
10,002 Posts
well, as diesel works by compression rather than a spark i guess its theoretically possible. No I dont want to try it either

·
MEG Captain
4,788 Posts
[quote name=mondeo.man662]You are safe!! lol

Is it red?? lol[/quote]

i was wondering that myself :sad: , if it is and the op gets caught then it is potentially bye bye car , end of conversation :sad:

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,416 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of anybody who's been dip tested or whatever they call it?

And diesel does lignite, eventually. A few years ago me and an old work pal were messing about on a night shift on security. We had a yellow duster, wrapped it around an old Lynx aerosol can and dipped it in a trucks diesel tank. Anyway, we put a flame to it and although it did take a good while it eventually lit and caught fire, much to the amusement of our then immature selves. Needless to say we chucked it a nice distance away and it eventually went pop! The things we used to do eh, or was that just me.....

So er...no, I wouldn't advise a lit match in the tank either!

·
Gavin T
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
paulyoung666 said:
mondeo.man662 said:
You are safe!! lol

Is it red?? lol
i was wondering that myself :sad: , if it is and the op gets caught then it is potentially bye bye car , end of conversation :sad:
No its not red diesel, its the proper "white" stuff!

·
Big Megger
284 Posts
Diesel does not have a high water content, it contains no water whatsoever. The reason that you can put a match out in it is purely because it is not as flammable as petrol. It will still go up on a hot day however, so it's not a clever thing to do. Water is heavier than diesel so will separate off and sit as a layer below the diesel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.