Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Little Megger
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Had to have replacement windscreen on my 53 Mondeo Ghia recently. Since then rain sensor has been less sensitive. Is there an adjustment, and if so, where?

Keith

·
Little Megger
15 Posts
magic919 said:
Not all Mk3s with auto wipers have this.
Agreed, my 53-reg Ghia has auto wipers but no 1-6 sensitivity dial on the stalk.

Seems when they introduced the auto wipers in 2003 they didn't include adjustable sensitivity but then obviously realised people wanted it and added it at a later stage, maybe for the minor 2005 update? Is a bit of a pain..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently picked up a 55 reg Ghia. This has auto wipers and the 1-6 adjuster. From reading the manual, I got the impression that you could either have auto wipers or intermittent on a scale of 1-6 (as on previous models I have had).

Having read this topic am I right in thinking this is not the case and that auto is the only option, but with adjustable sensitivity?

·
wbumanagh
8,607 Posts
mk3man said:
thanks.

now tested out this evening on rainy drive home!

I used to live in Maidenhead by the way ...
Mine on the 220 seem to work well set on No. 2 and I have grown to love them and miss them on other cars i drive now and then, hehe.

Oh really? where abouts did you like? I am down near boulters lock.

·
Little Megger
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, given that a 1 - 6 adjustment is not original equipment in my motor (53 reg) is there any way the sensor can be adjusted at the sensor end, or at the motor end? Or, is there any way an adjuster could be fitted? I am really finding the lack adjustment a pain, as the intermittent wipe simply isn't sensitive enough and I'm having to use continuous wipers instead. If no-one here can provide an answer do Ford have a technical contact I could ask?

Keith

·
Big Megger
125 Posts
The problem is that when they change the screen they stick your old sensor onto the new screen - usually with clear silicone, this obviously smears all over the sensor and screen, cocking up the sensitivity... three times autoglass tried to do mine - muppets!! insurance company finally arranged for a mobile fitter to come out who usually just went round the dealers sorting out there screens.. he made the site based fitters look real cowboys, he replaced the screen, cleaned up the sensor and fitted a new a-pillar trim that the original guys had managed to break when they ripped it off - i'd take yours back to the people that changed the screen and complain!! :L

·
Little Megger
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had Autoglass out. In fact the sensor on the 53 Mondeo is clipped into place - no adhesive, no silicone. However, there was a sort of greasy film between it and the glass (nature unclear as it was very dark!). He cleaned this off, and the sensor itself. A quick test with a light spray of water onto the screen produced a very prompt response of the wipers. However, the proof of course will be when I next go out in light rain and find it responds quicker, hopefully, than it did before.

Keith

·
Big Megger
125 Posts
:mad: That must mean my original fitters were even worse than I thought because the sensor was definately siliconed on!! the A-pillar trim was stuck back on with black windscreen sealing mastic as well!! I didn't actually watch the mobile fitter do all the job, as I had to go to a meeting - I was only there when he literally cut the sensor off the screen.. nice to know that it just clips into place though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.