Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can someone help with a problem on my friends ranger. It is a 2003 XLT TD double cab. There is a constant .25 amp drain on the battery. It appears to be the battery saver relay, and .25 amp is about what a relay coil draws. There seem to be conflicting answers on line, about how long it should stay powered after switch-off and lock-up. Some people say 10 minutes, some say 40, some say an hour. On Friday we left it with an amp meter connected for an hour and 20 minutes and it didn't drop and today, we left it locked with the interior light on, and after 3 hours, the light was still on. So I think the GEM is not turning the battery saver relay off.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm thinking of getting another one on ebay, but not sure which one to go for, or what else it controls. Any part of the immobiliser in it? The only other thing I can think is to take the relay away and bridge out the contacts, but then he will lose the switch-off after 10 minutes if the door is left open

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Gary

·
Super Moderator
29,781 Posts
I dont know how long the relay stays connected on the Ranger but it should power

down after an hour tops.

4w draw for a relay? Are you sure that sounds excessive. Bulb on somewhere or

is that just the standby power after closing everything up?

After an hour of inactivity on the door handles/switches or bonnet switches and

interior lights etc. then the relay should power everything off and cut power further.

Shortly after opening the doors and putting an interior light on pull the relay and

listen/feel for a click or pull the fuse for the relay.

Battery/alternator test mayb useful also... http://www.talkford.com/topic/205394-battery-test-procedure/

·
MEG Corporal
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

I make it 3 watts :lol: . Seen it loads of times over the years, a relay staying energised typically draws .25 amps. Definitely no lights on anywhere. With the drivers door open, and interior light on, it goes up to .85 amp.

Ford can't even find the module to give me a part number and stated the "Ranger doesn't have a GEM."

The alternator is also knackered. At 2000 revs, with lights and heated rear screen on, it's only just putting 12.5 volts out. And if I disconnect the battery while its running, it dies. I wouldn't have thought that with a charged battery, the alternator would have any effect on the battery saver relay problem though.

Do you know exactly where the relay and the GEM are located? Also does it control anything that would need coding if I swapped it with one from a breakers?

I've pulled every fuse. The only one that makes the draw disappear is one under the bonnet. When pulled the interior lights no longer work

thanks again for your help

Gary

·
Super Moderator
29,781 Posts
A faulty alternator can drain a battery faster than leaving your lights on.

A quick google and it seems the relays have voltage cutoff points, some are fixed but

some are variable.

Batteries in my calculator replaced now and it agrees 3W. :)

·
MEG Corporal
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorted. He didn't tell me there was a light in the rear cab. Didn't mention it because it didn't work. It was left in the on position, and being fluorescent, the electronics part was still drawing power. Down to o.oo now.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts