Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I made a device for mixing rattle can paint.
Due to me having nerve and joint damage in one of my shoulders it always caused me pain to shake rattle cans to mix the paint (the damaged shoulder became painful no matter which arm I used to shake the cans).

As I’m now using rattle cans several times a week I decided it was long overdue for me to make a paint mixer :)

Lots of people make them, and there are a number of ways to make them, so making one isn’t unusual, but I added a few bells and whistles to the one I made.

The tool was made pretty much from things I already had laying around for free, so that influenced the design more than anything else :)

This is the mixer. It’s basically made from MDF, Pine and a few nuts and bolts.
What I added was the ability to fold to make it easier to store, and a set of cogs to make the workload on my impact gun much easier.

Tire Wood Floor Flooring Gas

I used 3mm elastic shock cord to secure the cans, this is a common method and works well.

These are the gears, The idea being that by using the gearing the impact gun or drill motor can be turning fast enough to have a good momentum, but the can will still be able to turn very slowly.

Tire Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Impact gun in place.

Pneumatic tool Drill Handheld power drill Hammer drill Power tool

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The tool folded.

Exercise machine Fixture Flooring Gas Fender

The clamp used to activate the trigger stores inside the tool when folded.

The tool has rubber pads in various areas, some to keep the impact gun stable, and others to protect the paintwork and MDF when the mixer is stood on rough ground.

It has been fun to use so far, and nice to just pop a can in for mixing and then be able to leave it to mix by itself :)
So far I’ve been just leaving it for five to ten minutes as I’ve been doing other prep work as the paint mixes.

Attachments

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,495 Posts
Ray, that is absolutely brilliant - super job - do you ever stop?

If it would spin at 5,000 RPM I would like to put the Prime Minister in it, maybe spin some sense into him!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts