Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Anyone want to express an opinion on the RDS-TMC service?

I'm thinking of getting a sat nav, but I want one that can re-route around traffic problems.

I'm trying to decide between a trafficmaster system (and the hugely expensive subscription and limitation on usage), or something based on RDS-TMC.

What I'd like to know is, how good is RDS-TMC on reporting traffic problems? Are they up-to-date? Do they cover most traffic problems, etc, or do people with RDS-TMC units still end up stuck in jams, etc.

Also, anyone know how they're getting their traffic info?

Cheers,

Hal.

·
MEG Corporal
623 Posts
Not used any TMC kit, but TomTom just announced that their new range of all-in-one units will support a TMC adapter to recieve the data.

·
Megger
88 Posts
I've been looking at TMC, as I'm thinking of upgrading my GPS Mouse. From what I've read,
The best TMC GPS is a RoyalTek jobbie, BUT they only support TMC on Destinator which is apparently very buggy and crashes regularly. Otherwise, TMC support is limited at present. Hopefull TT will bring it out soon enough, although I doubt it, as I'm sure they like to gain some £££ from selling their GPRS internet traffic add on system.

Additionally, I've seen people reporting that TMC in the UK is rubbish anyway - Its only broadcast on ClassicFM, and other broadcasters which use 'bad' TMC protocols can cause the units to lock up. There is LOADS of stuff on google about it, but it doesn't seem to be good as yet for the UK. Plus with confusion as to the possibility of DAB TMC coming onstream at some point in the future, if its worth waiting.

·
wbumanagh
8,607 Posts
I use it on my Denso DVD Nav in the 220. Works very well indeed. Cant fault it and I drive London 3 or 4 times a week. Also all over the UK, never let me down, I have often took the diversions and well happy. All I can say :)

·
MEG Colonel
5,987 Posts
the traficmaster system and an RDS-TMC (Trafic Master Channel) system use exactly the same signal which is broadcast under the classic FM signal

i have a TMC on my VDO sat nav and it works well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts