Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few times it has being asked on here what's the physical differences between the older style and the later style rear brake calipers are. Well I sweet talked a friend of mine who works at a motors factors in to allowing me the opportunity me to photo both. These pictures are of some from the hatchback/saloon model only, estate models are not the same. As you can see if you would like to upgrade to a later style you will need a newer caliper mount as well. Sorry about the quality of the photos, didn't know how bad they was until home.

Older Style Ones:

Revolver Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Font

Revolver Trigger Wood Gas Gun accessory

Auto part Gas Metal Wood

Blade Tool Wood Machine Metal

Wood Toy Working animal Automotive tire Key

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
nice set of pics mate, will also be good for identifying ones that have been hiding in the corners of sheds etc... lol

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This isn't the question I asked. Sorry. I now understand that the facelift and pre facelift calipers are different, but my question was, is the brake pad carrier the same no matter what engine is in the car as long as it is the same year, and does it need to be from an estate mondeo or can it come from any variant of the same year mondeo? Cheers

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
Same across the range except estate caliper must be from an estate.

Approx august 2004 rear calipers changed.

estate = estate only.

saloon/hatch = saloon/hatch only.

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This isn't the question I asked. Sorry.
This posted wasn't aimed at anyone or yourself in particular, it was just posted up more for the general information it gives, so you have nothing to be sorry for.

Engine size or fuel makes no odd's to the pad carrier, just the age and if it's an estate, or hatchback/saloon.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Cheers, I didn't mean for my post to come across soo blunt. That is my Aspergers for you
Just freaking out as I have a 190 mile journey to do tomorrow afternoon after getting my car fixed in the morning. Very Very Stressed

Thanks for the help. All the information was useful. And got the answer I needed in the end.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
rick, get this posted up in the WIKI too for good measure as its very useful indeed ( seen many a broken mondy in the scrappers & to my knowledge thats the 1st time i have seen the newer style rear caliper so tis a handy reference & one worthy of the WIKI

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hy, does anybody know the difference between hatchback and estate calipers ? I have a 2002 estate mondeo and I want to change the calipers on it from a 2006 model but it's a hatchback. Are there big differences ?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i believe the caliper sits differently so it won't fit.

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
The adjusters work the opposite direction.

2002 and 2006 calipers are a different size also. Late 2004 onwards have smaller pads

which actually cost more last time i looked.

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
Loads on ebay. Europarts is where i got my set from. Postage maybe costly though?

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes I know, I have an Ebay account and buy a lot off things from there but this time postage is a lot. For example an caliper is £25 and postage is 30.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i know this is old but i was wanting to ask a question.

i know the calipers are different but are the sliders the same?

just i am going to change my calipers soon but also want to change the sliders and boots i have just decided to start from fresh with the brakes.

basically change 4 calipers+pins+boots,all pads and discs also and since my handbrake cables snapped i will be changing them also and the rubber hoses that way it is a complete new system so hopefully it will wear the pads even this time!

going to rebuild the calipers i take off the car and keep them for the future and if i sell the car first then i will put them on here and ebay.

so if someone could tell me if the sliders and boots are the same that would be great.

also would it be worth going for the newer type of calipers? are they any better? is it only the mounts that need changing? i can get the calipers the same price as the new ones so if the new ones are better and dont stick so much it would be worth me doing because i can get the mounts for under £15 a pair from a friend who has a scrappys

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i think the caliper itself is almost identical, it is just its location and the handbrake mech position that is different, the sliders and boots should be the same. :L

rear calipers won't last forever anyway, regardless of type afaik.

£15 for a pair of caliper carriers? :blink: is the yard robin hood's? i could get a pair of calipers and carriers for that! lol

·
Registered
910 Posts
so if i wanted to upgrade to the later type of caliper i need

• 2 CALIPERS
  • 2 CARIERS
  • DIFFERENT SLIDERS
  • DIFFERENT PADS
  • MANUAL ADJUSTING HANDBRAKE LEVER

could someone let me know please?

also do you think it is worth going for the later type? are they much better?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts