Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new here, so sorry if i posted this in tbe wrong place. I turn 16 Friday, and ive recently worked off my first car. I got a 1999 Ford explorer limited. Ive been working on it and trying to get it in working order. One thing thats bothering me is that the rear gate wont open. The glass will, but the gate itself wont. What could be causing this?

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
Not familiar with Exploers but sounds like the locking mechanism isn't retracting....check anything that inhibits the hinges but thats a long shot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KingCreole said:
Not familiar with Exploers but sounds like the locking mechanism isn't retracting....check anything that inhibits the hinges but thats a long shot
Alright. It will move a little bit, but it almost feels like its not completely letting go.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
BTW Bug 10 if asking a question ....don't apologise about anything...talkford just loves to help? Can I get a job in PR now Dagenham? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KingCreole said:
BTW Bug 10 if asking a question ....don't apologise about anything...talkford just loves to help? Can I get a job in PR now Dagenham? lol
Alright. Thank you. Ive been part of forums (guitar relates) where people aren't so friendly.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
just like life Bug10 wish I could pinpiont your soursce of trouble but sometimes posts get answered other times not!
wish I knew how to guarantee it

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
have you tried removing the inner trim on the rear door, then trying to operate the lock rod by hand from inside? usually there is a rod that joins the lock barrel/handle to the locking mechanism, if you find this rod, and (usually) pull it towards the handle, it should operate the locking mechanism and release the boot.

Most of the time its one of the little rods has come out of its plastic clip, if the plastic clip is broken, it ideally needs replacing. The plastic clips may be the same in other ford models, if you can't source new, and are pretty cheap too...

I don't have any experience with this ford model, so the info i give is based on my experience with other models.

I can recommend buying yourself a haynes manual, if you can source one, these are brilliant little books, well worth buying, as they pay for themselves easily, (my current mondeo one has lasted me 3 mondeos, so it owes me nothing) http://www.haynes.com/repairmanuals/ford/explorer

·
Super Moderator
29,701 Posts
If they have not opened it by now i suspect that having it stuck shut

for the past 7 years will not bother them. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts