Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it difficult to remove these and give them a clean. I am experiencing no problems with them at the moment but doubt they have been cleaned in a long time (I have 200K miles on the clock). I have seen a video in German on youtube of a guy taking the manifold out and cleaning it. I was wondering how difficult it would be for a novice/average diy mechanic (I can do fuel filter, air filter, oil, oil filter, brake pad changes) to try or should I just leave well enough alone.

Also what tools/parts would I need to complete the job.

Thanks in advance.

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
hi Dub... first off the inlet manifold is never rear mounted .. all mk 3 motors have front mounted inlet mani..s .. and they are a doddle to clean for this reason . it right there in front of yr nose when u open the hood .. but yo would need eight new gaskets .[they are rubber oring type gaskets] for the job done right .. NEXT THE EGR.. valve is side mounted . [not rear ] Is mounted on the right side of the engine just above the belhousing .. and if you remove the air box and battery [make sure you have the radio code handy if discing the batt..] the valve is quite acessabe . if a lttle awkard to work on its becase of the positioning of the valv e. 1remove the flexi.. out of the way.. 2..disconect the front end of the valve .. the screw bolts are a little awkard as they are facing rearwars s . and be careful when yo let both screw bolts go the gasket will fall down .. its a thin metal gasket .. not a whole lot about it really shuld be easy for a fairly good diyer .s

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Salta. I meant rear mounted egr only not manifold as I know thats at the front. Reading back the thread title now I can see why it comes across as confusing! Apologies. From the video I saw on youtube it does look a bit awkward to remove the the egr.

Should I attempt it is my main concern. Nothing is wrong at the moment so a part of me is saying leave it be but another part is sayign have a go and give it a clean.

How much do the gaskets cost?

·
309 Posts
early mkIII have rear mounted egr, difficult to access

if you want to do the job properly and not get it gooed up again

1 disconnect vac hose to egr and blank it

2 clean out filth in the inlet manifold ( horrible job)

3 clean out filth in head inlets and dont push the gunk into the chamber!!!

4 on refit use a oil catch can to stop the blowby going into the inlect tract again

if you are persnickety you can also clean out the intercooler and change the rubber pipework that will fail after a while

regs paul mann

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
ye can clean and reuse anythinng .but new is much better . afterall they are only a .. few quid at micks garage .com .great site that ... and yea i refer to the newer models and yes the rear ie side moiunted egr with cooler .. is rear to where you look at it but is quite acessable . for a mech. of a diyer .. the trouble is we dont know how much you can do . but i would put the jobbie at . a three screwdriver diy jobbie ... and as abouve if you are blanking the EGR then no need to clean it , but perniclety is pernickety . i guess..s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.