Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in to get the rear suspension checked yesterday, the mechanic checked all the bushes and bearings but couldn't find anything wrong or loose. The trouble is that i can hear a faint clonking noise from the rear of the car mainly going over bigger bumps and speed bumps. I also have noticed the noise dissappears for a while after the car has been jacked up but returns after a week or so. I've had the car looked at twice now by different mechanics but they can't find anything wrong, any ideas??
Jim.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
what mk of mondeo is it , how many miles has it done etc :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
what mk is it, it could be the beginnings of the rear antirollbar bush's / link pins failing. ( my mk1 failed an mot on the link pins and once replaced the rattle went but passed the next MOT with a rattle but replacing the anti-roll bar bushs cured that even though they looked fine during the MOT )

both common problems on the mk1/2 ( unsure if it effects the mk3's ) and are pretty cheap too ( around £40 for the parts at ford prices & fairly easy to replace so you dont have to pay for them fitting if your ok with a spanner )

·
Registered
621 Posts
If it's a Mk3, it could be as simple as the handbrake cable knocking on the rear arm.

It's supposed to sit in a little clip that can break.

A cable-tie wrapped around the handbrake cable and arm might cure it.

It is very annoying, I went through the same procedure as you until someone mentioned the above fix on here.

Hope that helps.

Nick

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, it's a mk3 '02 plate with 75k miles, i've replaced the subframe bushes with the poly ones,i've also replaced the handbrake cables and cable tied them to the holding bracket. I'll try changing the roll bar bushes for poly ones if i can get them hopefully that'll cure it, funny thing is the rattle dissappears for a bit after the car has been jacked up. I've also emptied the car of everything including the spare and jack and went for a drive but no luck, the rattle is still there.
Jim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a bad knock on my old Polo and, while it's not the same car by any stretch of the imagination, it turned out to be my boot lid. The hinges were loose causing it to bounce around. I've had a couple of cars that had this sort of issue, and it's sometimes accompanied by an annoying squeak caused by the boot catch and the latch thing rubbing together.

Might be something to look at, you never know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.