Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

· TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are several topics on rear subframe bushes can this one gets made a sticky?

ok firstly prices
ford bushes £50 approx
poly bushes £70 approx

to replace ford bushes the job involves removal of subframe and bushes pressed out and new ones pressed in due to the shape of them. so your probably talking £150 + parts to do the job

its also been said you can get a replacement subframe with the bushes already in place for £150 im not sure if this includes fitting or not but even if it does you can still get a better longer lasting job done cheaper.

to supply and fit poly bushes www.powerflex.co.uk your talking approx £120 if not less it depends on the garage.

whats involved?
Firstly the bushes are kind of a cone shape and the thinner part is nearest the body of the car, with poly bushes you remove the original ones by pulling them out, leaving the outer cylinder part in place. this can prove easy as when the bushes go once you undo the bolt holding them they tend to fall out. if they dont they can be pulled out with long nose pliers or even cut out. Once removed and cleaned insert the poly bush with the lip part facing up, you may need a mallet to tap them in the final stage, then make sure the lip is sitting above the sleave part which is nearest the car body then just bolt them up.

it is advised you should get 4 wheel alignment done after this job, anyone with lazer tracking equiptment can do this, when the equiptment is used on the rear the readings are taken backwards, E.G. if it says toe in then it means toe out etc. and the reason for doing 4 wheels and not just the rear is because when the rear gets done it often knocks out the alignmenty for the front.

end result with poly bushes you have a lifetime guarantee and they do stiffen the car up a bit. another thing you can get if you want to stiffen up the rear a bit is poly anti roll bar bushes. you should obtain 20mm bushes which usually fit the front roll bar on a mk1/mk2 mondeo. once fitted these will leave a slight gap where the bush is usually split this is probably because the bar is 21mm. i have had them fitted through 2 mot's now and they are still like new.

Reactions: Wobbly-Rod

· TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good idea posting that here :L

· Big Megger
253 Posts
johnscotland98 said:
i still have a tool for sale for removing the bushes if anyone is interested

you dont need to remove sub frame with this tool
What's the tool like, how do you use it, and how much do you want for it?

· TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would likely leave the outer bush cylinder in place and pull out the rubber and inner sleve that the bolt goes through.

21 Posts
Hi

I had my rear subframe bushes changed 2 days ago and since then I noticed that in order to go straight i have to keep the steering wheel about 15 deg. to the left. Also I noticed an "adjust track" item on my invoice. Is it possible that they messed up my steering wheel with that adjustement?
The rapair was done at a Ford grage.
Please help.

· Registered
9 Posts
hi can i ask how much this cost at the ford garage

maschenazi said:
Hi

I had my rear subframe bushes changed 2 days ago and since then I noticed that in order to go straight i have to keep the steering wheel about 15 deg. to the left. Also I noticed an "adjust track" item on my invoice. Is it possible that they messed up my steering wheel with that adjustement?
The rapair was done at a Ford grage.
Please help.

· Registered
46 Posts
Mine went through the MOT with an advisory. I had the MOT done at the dealer, and specifically asked them whether they'd fail it on the bushes. They said they wouldnt, so whether it's wear related I dont know - they did recommend changing them asap.

I know they've split, it's just getting round to it

· Registered
26 Posts
old ones are hard to remove, :angryfire: but a hot sharp knife helps no end.
also found that a 3/4inch drive 14mm socket will fit nicely as a sub frame alignment tool (inserted in the hole just behind the rear most bush) with a short extension fitted to aid placement of frame with body. ;)
you can buy this tool from ebay (with the bush removal tool that is useless for poly bushes as you need the outer part in place for poly-bush!).
do not use any sort of lube (save it for the cat) to push the poly bush in, try this, push the poly bush in as far as you can then with out the supplied large steel center insert replace the bolt with the large supplied washer and just nip it up until the bush pops in place, remove the bolt again and now push in the steel insert, large washer,small original washer, and then nip up.
last get it check out for alignment and geometry at a trusted garage.
mine went well better steering self centering and better handling before i had it checked for geometry it did not need altering!.

· Megger
75 Posts
Will need to do the bushes on mine this autumn, MOT is due in January. However they only seem to have gone on one side. Can you just change the ones you need to, or do they have to be done as a set? (yes I can see the benefits of doing the lot, but if I am struggling to get one or two out I can also see the benefits of leaving them til they separate anyway......)

If I have to do them all, can I use a Dremel with a sanding wheel or a flap wheel on a cordless drill to clean out the metal inserts or is it too fiddly? I assume it would only need to be low speed to remove residual bits of ruber.

· DRIVEN...
3,920 Posts
Just got the removal tool with replacement bushes... Question... How do I use it? lol

I've read the crappy instructions but it sounds like I need to gain access to the top part of the bush. How do I do this? Do I need to remove the wheels or something? And do I need to support anything? I've just got the car up on ramps at the momnet was hoping that's all I'd need! I've got axel stands if I need to use them but rather just do it on the ramp if possible.

Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks.

· MEG Captain
4,518 Posts
can anyone recommend a place in or near Hertfordshire that can do my bushes - cannot undertake the job myself and really do not wanna get ripped off

1 - 20 of 186 Posts