Ford Automobiles Forum banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the lip on the lower (wider) end of the outer cup (the bit of the OE bush that stays in place when you fit poly bushes)? I want to make a tool like the one Master-of-none used in post 110 to remove the old inner bushes - his method seems the best as no need to lower the subframe and lose alignment if you do one at a time. I suspect I can even leave the wheels on and have the car on ramps (with suitable secondary support etc.).

My only concern is making sure the new bush top lip pops into place with so little clearance (subframe NOT lowered) but Master-of-none reckoned all 4 popped in OK as long as you stick a screwdriver between the subframe and chassis to stop "squish" in the remaining bushes.

Thinking of using the Flo-Flex bushes as they're only £20 on eBay; most people seem positive about them although one negative in this thread. Any comments?

Thanks in advance,

A

· Registered
1,718 Posts
Glad you like it.

The bush lip is about 63mm dia with the main body of the bush around 52mm dia. You have a choice, use around 55-60mm ID pipe sitting on the lip, or slightly larger and a small risk of pulling the whole bush out.

Unfortunately I can't find the bits in my shed to measure what I did, but for scale I think the 'U' channel was about 50mm wide, (you only really need a bit of thick plate).

I would advise you lubricate the thread and nut when extracting and avoid having your body in the firing line if/when under tension.

· Registered
10 Posts
M-0-N - thanks for that. Not done the job yet as I'm now unsure if it is only the NSR ARB droplink (OSR was replaced by previous owner) - may remove it for a run and see. Bushes do look knackered though (frilly bits around the outside IYSWIM).

A

· Registered
8 Posts
is there anyone that can fit these subframe bushes on a mk iii mondeo in central scotland for a fair price i am in west lothian and would bring car to them many thanks folks :) .

is there anyone that can fit these subframe bushes on a mk iii mondeo in central scotland for a fair price i am in west lothian and would bring car to them many thanks folks :) .

· Registered
552 Posts
I've just done this job after advisories on past two mot's with another mot due in couple of weeks time. I used the Flo Flex (£20 on ebay) bushes.

I wouldn't recommend the 'tightening the bolt to squeeze the bush in' method as I tried it on the first one and it didn't go well. It took me ages and I stripped the thread on the bolt in the process. After that, I just used my trolly jack with a piece of wood standing on end, to push the bush in and it slid in, in seconds....same for the other two.

Another thing to note, on 3 of mine, the lip of the bush didn't fully pop out over the top of the subframe, but on all occassions, after inserting the metal core(same method, jack with wood on end), it popped over.

Great thread and thanks to all contributors.

Mart.

· Registered
3 Posts
hi everyone newbie here,doin my rear subframe bushes next week managed to get my mates removal tool for the job but need to know does the tool remove the whole bush and casing,as i have powerflex poly ones to go in and think they need the casings in place,cheers for any help.

· Registered
1,718 Posts
A standard removal tool is designed to remove the whole bush if you're replacing with the Ford OEM type bushes.

As you are replacing with poly bushes the outer stays put and you need to cut any rubber (if it's not already detached) and ideally clean the outer of rubber remnants with a wire brush in a drill.

· Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the replies,think my bushes are shot and hoping the rubber falls out as the noise im getting sounds like somebody is under car banging away with a spade lol,mate has no need for the tool now either so he asked me to see if anyone would be interested in it,just a footnote the bushes i have are duraflex not powerflex my mistake are these any good before i fit them or should i sell these on and get powerflex.

· dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,544 Posts
Had you inspected the exhaust isn't banging? That gives a hard knock and it's not uncommon

· Registered
85 Posts
I believe that my rear sub-frame bushes need replacing to (as well as other things) I've got a set of flo-flex waiting to go on, was planing on loosening track arms, slightly dropping & supporting sub-frame & replacing when have chance

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
I've made an error and not taken a pic of the previous original bushes alignment and now I am stuck with a subframe waiting for me to fit the a set of new original bushes back in.

I've searched the internet and seen loads of pics but it seems not everyone fits the same way. The way I have it in the pic, is that correct?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

161 - 180 of 186 Posts