Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pondering on the feasibility of rebuilding a V6 bottom end?

The block could be re bored to 88.9mm with 3.0 pistons replacing the std 2.5 82.4mm

The crank bearings is the only stumbling block. I suppose the crank could be reground, but there are no oversize bearings available..... Again a completely new crank could be purchased, but at ££££ bucks!:shocked:

As the engine is used by Mazda and jaguar, and has been in production since 1993 I don't see and logic in why there are no oversized bearings available? :loopy: :loopy:

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
is there any stroker kits available for the V6 in USA? i found a kit for the 2.0 zetec which takes it to 2.3 but it was pricey for not alot of power gain

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd be wary of slapping the bigger pistons in as the liners might get a bit thin and start to flex a bit....

You can get the bits from Autocraft if memory serves tho.

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
Puzzle said:
I'd be wary of slapping the bigger pistons in as the liners might get a bit thin and start to flex a bit....

You can get the bits from Autocraft if memory serves tho.
yes but i am sure i got told the ST220 V6 3.0L lump has the same V block as the normal V6 and they had bord it out with 3L pistions and added a few extra holes for exra water/oil cooling , so cant see why it would be a prob , there are a very strong lump to play with..

·
Big Megger
176 Posts
I had a problem getting oversized bearing for a reground V6 the ford ones were too small. That is until I discovered that the nissan maxima 2.4 V6 uses the same block and I was able to get the correct size bearing from Nissan!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nissan :confused: Thanks for the info!

Do you have the year, and engine code you had the bearings for, this my be worth checking out!

I think its the maxima V6 (engine series VQ) but this was only a 2.5 not a 2.4.
(the same block was used in the 3.5 350z, Imagine that, a 3.5 mondeo :} there’s even a 4.0 variant used in the frontier)

thanks again :thankyousign:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts