Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, say if i was to rebuild my engine, how difficult would it be?? and price wise, to service and replace to give me many more yrs of happy driving, and id like a little bit of power, how much we lookin at??

Cheers
Wibble :D

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
How long is a piece of string

Could need a grind and shells, Pistons and rebore

In that case it would be £500 ish

There was a cheap low milage auto blacktop engine on ebat for £125 buy it now, That is VERY cheap for a blacktop engine

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's not that difficult to rebuild an engine. It would be best to know the torque on all nuts and bolts.
When I rebuilded my engine, I cleaned all components, checked them, and replaced them with new ones if not good enough.
I would recomend, like Avinitlarge said, new shells on the crankshaft and on the con rods, new pistons and rings, a honed block, a little skim on the cylinder head and new gaskets. Pluss maybe some new exhaust valves if they are dirty (or clean of the carbon). When I did mine, I also did the valve seats with a special tool.
I bought much of the parts at Burton instead of Ford, because Ford has stopped producing some of the parts for old Mondys.
This costs a bit of money I now too well, but I see you have a mk2, so i presume that the engine isn't quite killed like mine was.
You should also get some other components like oil filter, plugs and so on.

And maybe get a new clutch when you have the box out...

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
And belive it or not, Ford are quite cheap on engine parts, I used all genuine gaskets and seals, genuine piston rings, A valve and lifter shims. The shims were cheaper from ford than after market ones.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what sort of costs are the ford gaskets and suchlike? out of interest as planing on building a Zetec Turbo soon for a nother project..

Also, do ford do a tradeclub card like vauxhall?

Ta

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Emzils said:
what sort of costs are the ford gaskets and suchlike? out of interest as planing on building a Zetec Turbo soon for a nother project..

Also, do ford do a tradeclub card like vauxhall?

Ta
Ford do trade but you need a letter head from a garage, What gaskets do you want prices for??

·
Registered
66 Posts
well i can get fel-pro gaskets through work no problem and i already have a Vaux & Halfords Trade card so a ford one would come in handy...

Was after the gaskets/sets for a 2.0 Silvertop rebuild.

Cheers

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
I wouldnt bother with a felpro, Ive heard loads of bad stuff about them on passion ford, The Std MLS focus RS/Blacktop gasket is only about £25 from ford

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
I will dig through my invoices, My gaskets are all blacktop ones so the prices may vary

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
I advise not using CVH manifold for what ever you are doing, Been there and done it, The results were poor

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Both, Use the RS1800 HO manifold and havea CVH manifold altered so it bolts straight to the zetec head

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.