Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only came across this by chance. There is a recall (R/2018/082) for Mondeo, Focus, C-Max, S-Max, Galaxy and Kuga with the 1.0, 1.5 and 1.6 petrol engines for potential clutch pressure plate fracturing. Came out in July but I have had no notification of it from either DVSA or Ford.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,392 Posts
As far as I am aware it was/is not a recall in the uk. If so, you wont hear from DVSA or Ford. Only way it gets done is if you use a Ford dealer for servicing.

It is a FSA (Field Service Action) 18S07

You can tell off Ford ETIS if a veh is within the FSA

Basically all it is is a software update so if the clutch starts slipping the engine power reduces/goes limp mode - bloody hell, do we really need to be told when the clutch is slipping - if so, time to hand your licence in!!

Only pre 17 cars as well I think

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/103169-ford-recall-software-update-clutch-slip-18s07/

·
8 gears or more please
5,392 Posts
So, basically, it is an "idiot proof" upgrade to the software to hopefully prevent idiots driving with a suspect/slipping clutch - it stops idiots driving the clutch/veh to destruction - whatever next!!!!

I know a number of people who have said they are not even bothering with the hassle of taking their car into a dealer.

God help any other manufacturers that are selling vehs to idiots that wont get told when their clutches are slipping.

BTW, the FSA won't involve taking the clutch out for inspection

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm very pleased to hear that you are such a mechanically sympathetic driver. I suspect that others are perhaps not as adept, knowledgeable or care for their car as much as you.

I agree with taking the car to a dealers. I have had issues with two of the three dealers near me (I haven't yet tried the third).

And again agreed, it is a SOFTWARE update as stated in the recall notice on the DVSA and Ford Etis so the clutch mechanism will not be examined.

However, would it not be wise to have the update done, especially should the clutch plate suddenly fracture?

·
8 gears or more please
5,392 Posts
Sorry, but I do think mountains are made out of molehills at times.

In the Description from DVSA it says "This results in clutch smell reduced speed and performance".......

Thats just another way of describing clutch slip, so that is when a driver is expected to take action.

As I said, what about other manufacturers, and I don't know any that do, who don't provide an idiot proof veh that tells you your clutch is slipping or even developing a fault

But there we go, if we all thought the same life would be boring

I'll tell the wife, keep riding the clutch and slipping it instead of changing down, nothing to worry about, you will hear chimes and see a warning spanner on the dash when/if the clutch is knackered!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems to me that the concern is not that the clutch will slip if worn. The issue is that the clutch plate MAY fracture in such a way as to be dangerous. From the notice...

"fragments may be released, striking under the hood components and creating a risk of smoke and fire from under the hood area."

Lots of conditional phrases in the notice; "may", "a small number" etc. A slipping clutch is not inherently a dangerous feature. I would not expect a slipping clutch plate to fracture. It would suggest that the fracture, caused presumably from the materials and/or manufacturing process involved is therefore the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts