Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not been in this position before so...
Refused 1st offer of 2500 so guy upped to 2800 the was reviewed by another and upped a further 30 quid.
Car was valued when I purchased the policy @ £3495
35 days later when a noob driver one shunted me the value hd dropped 1k pounds?
I know the market value is between. 2995 & 3995. From reputable dealer.
And if I was to insure today it would be around £3295.
Looks like I.have to take to ombudsman.....
And they want top dollar for sell it bk greedy bsstrds

Any direction would be great cheers.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Model/Spec/Mileage/History?

Who/what valued the car at £3495? When I insured mine they said the book value for the vehicle
was a lot more than I paid. But it was cheapdue to high miles. Book value £6k where I paid £3k.

Have you provided evidence that the car is worth more? What was the policy excess or are you claiming
directly from the 3rd party?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thank for the reply.

Its the mondeo titanium. 2011
159k miles 140hp part serv history.
My excess is huge 1k so am already down and wont be able to match the car.
My policy is market value.
At the time of insuring via moneysupermarket value was placed £3495.
Providing evidence to my insurer is proving difficult they don't answer the phone often or email.
Bit worried they are dragging it out. Probably to get cost up on hire car.
At the moment it is going 50/50 but I was no way at fault. I did obtain a audio recording of the 3rd party admitting liability on 3 occasions. But unsure if its water tight.
I've not provided any evidence because I can't find a match anywhere near they're valuation nearby.

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
551 Posts
I had problems years ago when my first mk2 was written off after a disagreement with a red deer. it ended up with me getting a solicitor to send them a letter threatening legal action if they didn't settle. I had the same problem as the OP as they wouldn't answer the phone or respond to emails.

·
Little Megger
50 Posts
Hey, thank for the reply.

Its the mondeo titanium. 2011
159k miles 140hp part serv history.
My excess is huge 1k so am already down and wont be able to match the car.
My policy is market value.
At the time of insuring via moneysupermarket value was placed £3495.
Providing evidence to my insurer is proving difficult they don't answer the phone often or email.
Bit worried they are dragging it out. Probably to get cost up on hire car.
At the moment it is going 50/50 but I was no way at fault. I did obtain a audio recording of the 3rd party admitting liability on 3 occasions. But unsure if its water tight.
I've not provided any evidence because I can't find a match anywhere near they're valuation nearby.
Ah insurers, the biggest fraudsters going - second only to politicians. More than happy to take money from you but will find every excuse possible not to give you any back.
Anyway, the problem with 3rd party liability admissions is they can argue later that it was said in a moment of shock. It Happened to my sister, at the time the woman was so apologetic and admitted she was concentrating on something else, then later she changed her mind and said my sister had driven into her. It ended up going 50/50, which is another bug bear.

Unless it's blatantly obvious who was in the wrong, insurers love to settle claims as 50/50, despite it rarely being both drivers faults. It's because they cannot be bothered to properly investigate it most of the time.

With regards to valuation, go on auto trader and find a close match to your car (spec, engine, mileage, history) and show the insurers how much it would cost to replace it. The buyback cost is normally about a third of the pre-collision value.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
The issue with the comparison sites is that they don't value properly on high mileage cars.

I bought my car a late 2013 Zetec Business estate in 2018 for £3000. 5k more miles than on yours.
Im a low mileage user and even lower with the lockdown, so have added very little to the car.

Comparison sites valued it at £6.5k. Insured for £4k. Current values are all over the place, daughters car
is worth about £500 less than she paid in 2017.

Claiming fomr your own insurance? If claiming from the 3rd party you cannot goto the ombudsman they will
throw it out as your not their customer. If claiming from your own policy though then yes you can use that
service.

Just had a look on autotrader and some high mileage cars going fairly cheaply. Zetec Business for £2k and
a Titanium for £2k. 170k miles but find one with a decent service history and it could be a keeper.
Mine had a full service history and plenty of receipts, since 2018 its had a battery and a headlamp bulb.

Recording them saying they were at fault is easily defended by their insurer, they were simply mistaken or they
thought something that was not true. A friend had an accident and puzzled by the statement the other person
provided a few weeks later. He went back to take photos and they had changed the layout and markings which
the other person tried to use to their advantage. Took him ages to get a statement from the coucil regarding the
time/dates of the changes.
Good reason to use dashcams, unless you were in the wrong and the other person spots it fitted. Claims of it
was not switched on at the time could go against you also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts