Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Little Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the 6000 CD head unit, but it doesn't look like a straigtforward double din unit like in the previous mondeos. Its more integrated into the console. Its got a square centre but then a extra control protuding at each of the four corners.

Is it possible to replace this and if so how?

Thanks

·
Little Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really know yet, but there are plenty of double din units around. Is the sony one fitted by ford, i've not seen it.

Will also replace front and rear speakers at same time.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
danlightbulb said:
Don't really know yet, but there are plenty of double din units around. Is the sony one fitted by ford, i've not seen it.

Will also replace front and rear speakers at same time.
Yes it is. It's there top end model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, All the OEM units that go in the Mondeo are made by the same manufacturer (called Visteon) i.e low series 5000T and 6000CD and also the Sony badged ones.(with the exception of the Nav units).

As correctly pointed out the Mondeo version of this unit tapers (Mk3 facelifted only) out at the top to follow the centre consol lines, the Sony one also is angled forward at the top of the unit (Oddly the low series isn't). But the same unit in all the other Ford models is rectangular faced. They are actually slightly over Double DIN sized.

The New Mondeo will have the same rectangular face as the others.

The Sony one is a better unit by virtue of it has in built equalization programed to that model of vehicle and the speakers fitted.

Trev.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi again, just re-reading your post and it strikes me that you have a pre-face lift unit with a 6000CD Mondeo unit with the extra piece around it. The only better unit Ford did was called the 6006CD but avoid them as they are notorious for breaking or getting discs stuck in them. To replace it properly your looking at cutting up your console. This extra edging was done by Fords while they waited on the low series radios out now to be designed and working. No, the Sony unit wont go straight in your vehicle. Trev.

·
Little Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit confused with what people are saying re: this topic.

Here is a picture of my HU.

6000CD

What can I replace this with and how.

Ps I want to keep my steering wheel controls

Thanks
Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
Right, you have a facelift model. You can install the Sony 6CD unit in, but you need to change a part over. This is the center console unit. This will cost about £50ish either from ebay or from ford. Then you have the cost of the radio.

Your steering wheel controls will work with the sony.

Have a look at my car in the garage. Follow the link below. I have done just a few mods to my car.

·
Little Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks good got to admit.

But what about installing a 3rd party unit like kenwood or clarion? With the space available (double din) i'd like to install a dvd player unit with integral screen.

Thanks
Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
You can get hold of an din converter which would take you down to single din.

Also you will need an adapter to change the mutliblock connections down to standard din connections. (Audio & Power)

You will also need an adaptor so you are able to used the steering wheel controls.

After that you can put any 1 din unit in.

I havn't seen any double din adaptors for the facelift model, but they could be out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.