Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove it? I've looked at it and cannot see any fixings. Anyone?

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
If you are talking about how to get it off the windscreen, I don't know, they are glued on, if you try pulling, or tapping it, you risk cracking the screen.

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,the mounting bracket is glued to the glass,but the mirror mounting slides over it.Looked for an allen bolt or maybe you push the bit of plastic at the bottom in or something.Like you said,don't want to crack the glass.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
hold it firmly close to the screen and twist it both ways should come off

·
MEG Corporal
752 Posts
DO NOT use superglue to stick anything to glass.

When the superglue shrinks/dries it can, and usually does, cause the glass to crack!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i knocked mine down with my head when cleaning the inside of my car. just glued it on with superglue (there were already cracks in it, so who cares?). it fell of 2 months later. then i went to my ford dealer and he gave me the sticky pad for free. :L

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to remove the mounting that is stuck to the glass,just the mirror itself,which in this case slides over the mounting.Cannot see how it comes off.Must be either an allen bolt or some kind of clip to press.

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Which mark are we talking about? Or are they the same? I have a MK3 and have just got a auto dipping mirror I want to swap for my std one.

The new mirror is still attached to the mount (and some glass as well!!)

There seams to be a clip of some sort underneath but cannot seam to budge it.
Daz

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Reading the above, it seems that you're wanting to remove the mirror & casing but leave the mounting arm intact/ fixed to the windscreen M8.

At your own risk you might want to try the following. It worked for my other motor, not the Mondy;

The mirror looks to be held in the mount purely as a ball-joint.

1. Hold the mirror either side of the arm, like youd hold handlebars on a bike.

2. Rotate upwards/forward until you meet resistance.

3. Gently apply more force on the rotation until the joint separates.

I'd still recommend removal of the complete assembly (Mirror & Mounting Arm). With re-fitment using the correct pads (have some), not superglue. :L

Andy.

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Right, I have got the standard one off the screen, small plastic clip at the bottom of the base. Pull upand slide off sorted.

But..

The autodip one has a metal clip on. Any suggestion on removing it? Who ever removed it from it's previous home ripped the mount and some glass off!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts