Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of years ago I decided I’d like to retrofit a factory phone kit to my 2004 Mk3.
I hadn’t seen one fully working for around ten years, and just about all attempts to get useful info have proved fruitless.

At first I thought there was only one factory phone kit, but this has proved to be far from the case.
There are at least three entirely different set ups, with maybe five or six different styles of phone mount.

My 04 car did have the factory ‘phone prep’ kit from brand new, this consisted of:
A mini armrest to mount a phone cradle on.
A control module
A power cable to the control module
A mic in the headlining.
A speaker in the right hand side of the centre console.

To make this set up work it would have needed:
A phone mount
A cable to connect the control module to the phone mount.

But, and we are dealing with Ford, so it’s a big but. This set will not work with the phone mount most of us are familiar with, and the loom plugs on it won’t connect to the set up usually seen.

The phone kit designs changed (I’m guessing) when the cars changed from facelift to final facelift.
The final facelift set up is the one most people are familiar with, it’s the one where there is a phone mount and cradle that replaces the drivers cup holder.

The prep kit in my 04 car would most likely had an aftermarket cradle fitted to the dash if a phone had ever been professionally fitted.

The progress I’ve made so far isn’t a lot to be honest, and I’m really hoping posters read this and might be able to offer some help with electrics or set up connections :)

The parts I have gathered so far are:
The phone specific cradle the phone needs to sit in. I got this part first as I thought it would be the hardest part to get.

An old mobile phone to suit the cradle. The cradle was made to take a Nokia 6020 or 6021. I bought a 6020. Ever the optimist I also bought a sim card for the phone, a set of original headphones and an original instruction booklet.

A factory phone set up. At the time I bought the set up I thought it included everything needed except the bespoke cradle, but the lot I bought didn’t contain the mic and cable, or aerial and cable.
Thats not the sellers fault in any way, he‘s a top seller, it’s just that we are dealing with Ford, so it’s only natural the kit wouldn't connect to my existing aerial or mic :)

Pics to follow.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The 6020 next to one of my regular phones. Completely with newly added appropriate home screen.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bespoke cradle.

This is the item missing from just about every factory kit still installed in any mk3. My reasoning is that these cradles could only work with one to a few phones from one manufacturer, so when people bought a new phone they either didn’t want to pay ‘Ford prices’ for a new cradle, or found there wasn’t a cradle made for the new phone they had bought.
Dealers seemed to know very little about factory phone kits even from new, so any new owner of a second hand car may not have been able to get any useful info.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phone in cradle.

And, cradle in mount.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loom cables coming from the phone mount.
The purple plug is the co ax plug Jeremy discussed in this thread.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rest of the loom supplied.

A useful reference on this loom is the earth ring that screws behind the head unit. by using this it shows how close the grey mic plug would attach to the mic lead, and roughly where the C28? plug would be in the car.

The 04 set up I currently have not only uses a different mic plug type, but the mic connects to the control module itself rather than behind the head unit.
The aerial plug on my car is also a different design, and again is down by the control module under the slide out cup holder in the centre console.

The biggest issue I have is that my car doesn’t have a plug C28 behind the head unit, so I think the entire project might hinge on whether I can get one AND be able to correctly splice it into the existing looms in that area.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to retrofit this this set up purely to add yet another correct ‘period’ option on the car.

As long as the kit ‘looks’ right, and there is power to charge the phone in the cradle I’ll be happy.
If the phone could actually use a mic and the cars speakers for calls, or mute music during a call that would just be added bonuses.

The car already has full voice controlled or bluetooth phone set up for my modern mobiles, this would just be a ‘retro goody’. :)

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as catcar goes, this is the set up I’m aiming for.

This is the pre phone kit I currently have, minus cradle and cradle lead.

An alternative set up pic.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone has any pics of the plug c28 that sits behind the head unit, or pics of where that plug’s loom leads to that would be very helpful.

In fact any help would be nice :)

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best plan going forward is to find out where & what is the pin outs of the c28 plug, then possible make a small loom up to connect back to your main loom.
That was my initial plan, but I’ve made progress since then :)

I had take the location of the plug as being ‘behind the stereo’ too literally……That was my fault :)
The plug was secured behind the lower left passenger (left hand side) footwell trim. It was secured to the inside left side of the metal fascia support frame, and was secured with a ‘push in’ fixing.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ll possibly need to tidy these posts up later to make more sense.

Next bit of progress.
The aerial lead coming from the phone kit mount ends in a FAKRA plug in the claret/violet colour.
FAKRA plugs come in a selection of colours, with each colour having a different connector lug position.

The factory fitted ‘facelift’ aerial lead coming from the roof aerial ends with an SMA plug*, and was left free between the area of the two lower front centre console trims.

*A bit of research showed SMA plugs are commonly used for phone, sat nav or DAB aerials, and are made to imperial measurements with the spinning outer nut measuring 5/16” or roughly 7.9mm.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hi

Found this diagram for C28 On an old TIS disc, is this the plug you have?

Peter
Font Circle Number Art Brand

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi

Found this diagram for C28 On an old TIS disc, is this the plug you have?

Peter
View attachment 257794
No. But thanks for looking for the pic :)
I put a ‘?’ after C28 as that was what it was referred to in one Whattsapp message I got. It’s the large flat plug in post #7.

I have tonight bought the correct mic and cable, and aerial cable for this kit.
Progress is slow but hopefully steady, there is just so little info I can find on the phone set up online.

I ordered an adapter cable to go between the male FAKRA aerial lead and what I thought was an SMA plug on the old aerial cable, but the SMA plug on the adapter won’t fit the plug in the car.

I could fit the new ’joint AM/FM/phone’ cables that are coming, but that is a lot of work.
As a simpler solution I’m going to just chop the plug off the aerial cable in the car, and will see if I can just join it to the adapter cable directly. It’s just co-ax cable as far as I know, so I should be able to just join two cut ends together.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the adapter cable I bought.
Several people told me the brass plug circled in red would fit the plug in the car, but it doesn’t.

So, this will be what I cut off.
The FAKRA plug does connect to the phone kit :)

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll put up some more pics in relation to this install.
I will try to tidy up the thread later.

Nokia 6020 phone, complete with brand new outer case and number pad.
The phone, leather case and a mains charger cost £3.30 as a job lot from ebay.
The brand new old stick outer case was £20, and the brand new old stock number pad was £10.
Mobile phone Telephony Telephone Communication Device Gadget

The leather case was second hand and had a lot of the black outer finish missing. This pic shows the case after being re dyed, and finished with a matt/sheen sealer coat.

·
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I had bought a new outer case I had a spare used case, so glued that together, filled the inside to make it strong and spayed it matt black.

The idea being that the black phone could be a ‘dummy phone’ to leave in the car cradle.
Telephony Telephone Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device

1 - 19 of 19 Posts