Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,
I have a 2006 tdci 2L and while doing dmf etc. I noticed some damage on the outside of the transmission housing to the reverse idler shaft. It had a crack and appeared to show a fissure through where the sealant was. While taking the shaft out the bolt plate fell in half and i could see the two halfs were rusted right along the crack so I think this might have been something that happened many years ago (I bought that car Jan 2009 so can't see how other than in manufacturing). The housing is shiny in on half of the contact area and rough/miscast on the other so I guess it was bodged together during manufacturing. I scraped the filler/sealing compound off and brought it down level and cleaned to a polish with a brass brush but the surface is still pitted so on to my questions...

1.) The 'cat parts lists all say finis code 1668028 but show pictures of a short stubby shaft with a circlip, I need a longer one to fit inside the support bracket that is mounted inside the box - Will it come as the longer one as most manuals online seem to indicate all mondeos are fitted with the support bracket?

2.) What sealant would you recommend if you look at the picture; I have got the 1203247 anaerobic stuff but am worried it will not work if there is more than a hundredth of a millimetre (or whatever) of gap to fill.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any help? Even with just what to seal it up with would be nice and I'll go and chance my arm at Ford's and order the shaft.

At about £100 I wanted to be sure first. I won't give finis, will just ask for the reverse idler shaft for my vin so it should stop restock charge if wrong one is supplied.

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
I think it's best to go to your main dealer armed with your vin and/or reg number; they'll put it in their parts system and you'll then get the part that would have been fitted to YOUR specific build.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, I did do that yesterday so will find out today what I get. Really need advice on what sealant I should use in the pitted area. I think I can smear some 1203247 anaerobic into the shaft where it is smooth.

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
I've googled 1203247 and by the 'eck it's not cheap!

I used 1778303 on my sump but can't really comment on it's suitability for you, tho' some listings include 'transmission' among it's uses. Sorry, can't really add anything useful......

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:woot: :dang: :dang: I know, £14.99 is a killer, this car is costing a fortune! LOL, found some by chance on ebay, the chap had two, I grabbed one but wish I got the second as well for future use; though he does say it goes on so thinly it should do about 10 complete gearboxes so I guess if that is true then it is not bad value even at rrp of about £86+vat through Ford.

I was in Halfords earlier [as my car is off the road I am limited as to where I can shop for walking distance (the bus is £4 a day here so the costs soon mount up)] and I picked up some Araldite 'Steel' - 2 part epoxy adhesive that includes steel and aluminium in it's list of stuff it works with so will give that a go.

Had major head f*** ealier - Allen Ford (who have been great) called and said rear idler shaft is no longer made and unavailable! :dang: WTF do I do I thought: fortunately I remembered there are some second hand mtx75 boxes in the area that might work, even if just stripping for the part but that would also mean getting a heavy gear box back without transport - imagine the train ticket inspectors face when they come down and see me sat in first class with that on the table leaking trans-fluid all over the place :)

I was in luck though as the first place I tried; Ford Parts UK had one in stock, the lady I was speaking to went straight into the warehouse, took it off the shelf and photo'd it for me to check it was the right one and it is :woot: f*** yeah! Major headache now subsiding. Need the car back on the road for holiday next week hence the panic over the thought of trailing through scrappies trying to find the right one.

Bloomin' heck, I don't half ramble when I am tired... best switch this off now....

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
Yeah, the nervous energy one burns when trying to solve a 'no wheels' situation is quite draining! Keep the thread updated if you can! It's all good stuff to know... :L

·
Super Moderator
30,326 Posts
They seem more helpful than the jag dealer i contacted on ebay.

I asked them if the EGR seal would fit the fully electric EGR valve, they reply was they

do not know.

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
Dang! we have a right to know!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for such a long time between posts -

So this came as quick as it could. I have to say that Both Allen Ford of Coventry and in this case FordPartsUK have been absolutely brilliant.

The old idler shaft was a nightmare to unbolt but as it had a great big crack in it I couldn't risk leaving it there not knowing what the rest of it was like that I couldn't see. Trying to get this out I knackered 3 cheap and medium range torx T40 bits before I tried a local garage. I took the half transmission shell to the local small garage to borrow their airgun socket driver and it worked as if the bolts were only hand tight - never used an air tool before and it made me want one. Knocking the idler shaft out with a bit of 2"by3" and a little 4lb hammer was an easy job at home and putting the new one in was just as easy, I shall post some pics up soon in case anyone else is doing one someday.

·
Little Megger
4,561 Posts
Hi Alan, look forward to seeing the pics! :L

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread (I know it's not the best way to say hi when joining a forum) but I couldn't find a similar issue on the web.

Thing is, I have the exact same problem on my 1999 Ford Cougar 2.5L V6.

Is it possible to replace that part with the transmission still on the car, leaving the shell on the car? Wouldn't the gear and bearings fall down?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts