Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got car back from a service, and discovered a fault I've not noticed before.
I assumed it was caused by the 50000 mile service, but can't prove it, and the Ford garage (CD Bramall in Milton Keynes) have said it wouldn't have been anything they did, which might be true, but I've got an instant distrust of garages after so many f*** ups by the VW garage......

Basically, what is happening is this:
Whilst accelerating with foot flat on floor, the revs 'blip' up for about a second or two, from about 2000rpm to 3000rpm and then back down again to normal level. When the revs drop back down, there is a tiny 'lurch', a bit like when an automatic car changes gear and the power comes back, if you know what I mean?

It is as if I am blipping the clutch pedal, but obviously I'm not doing that :)

I've noticed it in 4th/5th gears mainly, but I think only because they are the gears that I accelerate flat out in for longest.
Everything seems normal other than that.
No loss in power or anything.

Ford say they're happy to look at it for me, but I assume they'll charge me for it, so I'd rather fix it myself.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Cheers :)

Patrick

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Sure sounds like a shot clutch. It wont happen in lower gears because the engine power is amplified by the gearbox and the revs dont stay low for long.

But in higher gears there is more potential for the engine to remain at low speeds for more time.

As the clutch gets hot (because its slipping), it gets tacky and grips all of a sudden (the lurch).

Go at 30mph in 4th and floor it - watch the revs and let us know what happens. Is there much 'bite' region on the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check it out on way home tonight.
Hoping it's something simple like the spring you've mentioned...."shot clutch" sounds expensive James!

The bite on the clutch pedal feels normal. It lifts the normal amount off the floor before it begins to bite, but nothing different to other cars.

I've a feeling when flooring it whilst going too slow (as in laboring the engine) the problem doesn't seem to happen. It's when the revs reach about 2000rpm that it starts. I'll double check that though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
had a similar problem in my petrol peugeot 306.

The outcome by the dealer, was a dodgy sensor. I would recormend a ECU and diagnostics check on the ford machines.

During the "service" the ECU might have been updated, causing this problem to occur if one of your sensors or components isnt working correctly?

Anyway, just something to check. Should only be around £35 for a Diag check.

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Good point - and ECU check would be good.

Bear in mind the closer to the powerband you are, the more chance there is of it slipping because of the extra power.

Thats if it IS slipping - it hopefully isnt!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jordie2005 said:
During the "service" the ECU might have been updated, causing this problem to occur if one of your sensors or components isnt working correctly?
At the same time as the service, I had two spare keys programmed to the car. I only had 1 other key, so perhaps they had to 'reset' or reprogram the ECU or something.

But how would a dodgy component cause the ECU to do funny things like this to the clutch/engine?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, put it in 4th on way home, at 30mph, floored it, and it slowly accelerated, went past 2000rpm, and about 2100rpm the rpm increased to 2900rpm for a bit, and then went back down to ~2300rpm at which point I stopped accelerating.
I couple of times it didn't happen, but mostly, it was in 5th gear, at about 2100rpm.

Am I doing any damage by driving it if it is suffering from clutch slip? I do 120 miles a day.

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
Are the revs really rising like that, or are you simply reporting the tachometer reading. Does the engine note rise?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's definately the engine revving too, not just the dial.
I can hear the engine revving, and feel it too.

I wish it was just the dial though....I'm beginning to think I may be spending a fair amount of loot getting this fixed.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts