Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a set of roof bars for my 57 plate mondy estate Mk4 and I'm having a spot of difficulty fitting them.

My worry is 'have I bought the correct bars?'. The bars were advertised on ebay as having just been removed from a 08 plate mondeo estate. The images fitted with what I could find on the net showing the genuine ford roof bars and so I'm pretty certain they are the correct ones for the car.

However upon trying to fit them I seem only to be able to get the front bar fitted the rear one appears too wide, when one side foot is in the correct place the other side is way past the edge of the roof seam.

The feet are numbered and from what I can gather the front bar should be 01/02 and the rear should be 03/04.

I spoke to the seller and he assures me they came off a mk4 mondy estate 08 plate.

I have loosened the bolts holding the feet to the bars to allow them to slide narrower or wider but even on the narrowest setting the rear bar is still too wide.

My question is simply is there a difference in roofline between the 57plate mondy estate and the 08 version? I know about the saloon/hatch difference but don't know if this makes the bars wider or narrower or if the feet change on the saloon/hatch.

I'm going to have another crack at fitting them tonight and swap the bars around just in case I botched the install but going by the numbers I'm assuming I'm correct and also the shape of the clamps seem to be front/rear specific.

Are the bars when correctly installed supposed to be level front to back?

If anyone has fitting instructions for the genuine ford bars I'd appreciate a PDF upload.

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so there is supposed to be a slight lean that makes me happier as the front one was installed correctly - I'm pretty sure that they do only fit in one particular way.

I'll check at lunch to see if there are any markings on them i haven't seen before - trouble is I dont know if previous owners have stripped them down and take the feet off/moved them around and forgot which bar they came off or if this is even possible.

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone who has seen the difference between the hatch/saloon bars and the estate bars would be welcome to comment as I'd like to know the difference between the two types - is it simply a clamp shape difference or are the bars wider narrower than the estate versions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On most cars I have fitted bars to the front and rear were different widths so it's worth trying to swap the bars front to back and see if you can adjust them up correctly.

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do I'll give it a go.

The bars do not appear to have any other reference markings other than codes which look to be relevant to the moulding process rather than a Ford Part no. The plastic covers are numbered 01/04 and 02/03 which I assume means either 1 and 4 can be interchanged and 2/3 the same. The clamp feet are numbered 01 ,02 , 03, 04 and they are on the bars in this order bar 1 has 01/02 clamps and bar 2 has 03/04 clamps.

Someone out there must have a set of fitting instructions for these bars also if anyone has the exact ford part ref no it would be helpful.

There is a ref no on the bottom of the aluminium bars 515 2120 if this sheds any light.

Here's a pic of the bars from ebay I bought.

Green Cutting mat Tool Utility knife Knife

Attachments

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, I've solved it.

For anyone out there who may be wondering about roof bars for the non roof rail estate mk4 check the foot numbers on the metal clamps they should be 01, 02, 05, 06 no 03 and 04.

Luckily and purely by chance the guy who I bought the car off originally must have had roof bars at some point and he's left the roof bar instructions in the owners manual. I thought I'd chucked them out so didn't check earlier but now I have I can clearly see that the foot numbers are different for the estate.

Glad I got to the bottom of this and anyone else who wants fitting instructions for the bars I'm considering making a PDF download available.

Now I've just got to get my money back from the seller.!!! :-(

Reactions: Yngin

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same issue as you, bought a set off ebay and realised that one of them wouldn't quite sit right.

So I elongated the adjustment slots on the ones that didn't fit correctly and now it sits just fine.

cheers

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same issue as you, bought a set off ebay and realised that one of them wouldn't quite sit right.

So I elongated the adjustment slots on the ones that didn't fit correctly and now it sits just fine.

cheers
I'd be a little wary of doing this as the shaped metal feet of the clamp are a different profile between the hatchback and the estate versions and I noticed that it stressed the roof when tightened to the correct torque. I couldn't even get the other foot down to the roofline to tighten it because the bar jutted upward at about 15 degrees away from the roof hence them being completely the wrong bars.

If you are referring to the horizontal adjustment slots on the rail then yes there is an amount of adjustment there which serves to help fit the bars for the first time, once fitted there is no need to adjust this anymore. However my problem was that the amount of adjustment offered by the slots was way too little and it would have meant adding extra to the bar rather than adjusting or elongating the slots.

·
Cave Dweller
90 Posts
PDF wont upload as its too large sorry.

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
The feet will depend on the make of the roofbars.

Google roobar footpack and any codes you have already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got similar issue, bought Genuine ford mondeo MK4 roof bars on ebay but did struggle to fit them as they came with no fitting instructions..

Eventually managed to do it today, however, I'm not sure I've done it correctly. Any comments will be much appreciated.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Window

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts