Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya

I have a 2.0l duratec ghia with 125,000 miles.

Im having an issue when the car revs up/accelerates it will hessitate and jerk (missfire if you will) between 1000 rpm and 2500 rpm.

I know this isnt fuel related because it will rev up and accelerate from 2500 rpm upwards absolutely fine , so im guessing its something to do do with the ignition side of things.

Was wondering if there was a common fault or a well know solution or if its a case of spending loads on spark plugs, ht leads and coilpacks to resolve this issue, it seems to be getting worse and worse as the days go by.

hope someone can help, thanks in advance

·
Go On.....I'm All Ears...
1,947 Posts
Yes, the ignition system on this car is a common failure point and if all 3 secondary components (spark plugs, HT leads and coil pack) are slightly deteriorating then the sum can cause a noticeable misfire, so start with the cheapest but expect to replace the dearest eventually!

As a side point have you checked the state/condition of the inlet flaps as these have been known to cause a misfire and if un-corrected pronto may lead to total engine failure.

Paul m.

·
361 Posts
Providing it does it at all gas levels then it could be any of the 3 things.
I own two mondeos and have had all 3 do misfires many times

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Mondingo19. I had terrible problems with my 1.8 Duratec and with a set of 2nd hand leads for a fiver the problem was cured.

You can check your old leads without any special equipment before spending money on new ones but it involves cutting the rubber boot at the spark-plug end....

If you slit the boot so it can be pulled back to reveal the end of the lead (where it meets the metal part) you should find the central 'cord' in good condition. If it has vanished the lead will be dud.

Another way to check this is by attaching an ohm-meter to both ends of the lead and if you get no continuity it is dud. I'm not suggesting you can get meaningful readings about a lead's resistance by doing this test but it will show if there is a break in the lead - ie the central core has burnt away.

It might be worth adding that I put a new coil on my car first (before checking the leads) and the performance improved for a while then got bad again so I assumed the new coil had failed or it was something much more complicated.

This check on the leads won't cost you anything and it is easier to change leads than some other parts.

P1100207_zps33t8adpj.jpg

boots removed from suspect HT lead

P1100196_zpsudfxk9uj.jpg

healthy central-core should look like this

P1100206_zpsxln7r3r5.jpg

if your lead is dud the core at spark-plug end may have disappeared, like this

P1100213_zpsluuizq4p.jpg

because is has disintegrated at last inch or two

Also. My car would rev fine at standstill so you wouldn't initially suspect the leads. It wouldn't accelerate on the road tho.

NB it's probably not worth taking the boot off the coil end as these were all perfect at that end. It was only the spark-plug ends that had deteriorated

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new here and suffering similar misfires in the same rev range and have changed the HT cables to no avail.

Eurocarparts only offer HAAS Coil packs and it says my 2001 2.0 Mondeo has two options with and without electronics. I assume I only know once I've had a look under the engine cover? Anyone want to warn me against the HAAS unit from ECP??

I've read about Visteon on here but where do I get them? Any help much appreciated

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
2500rpm is roughly where the ECU/PCM exits closed loop and enters open loop AFR. When your engine runs rough but smooths out between 2500-3000rpm, it often indicates a closed loop problem. If you suspect a fault in one or more components of the closed loop system, perform a diagnostics scan and check the closed loop sensors - MAP, O2, etc.

·
Click4 - What will you Click4 today?
1,481 Posts
Get the Bosch one from euro car parts as its the ford part, just without ford logo.

But you will find ford part numbers on it with XXXX in place of numbers and digits and look at fiord one and it's identical with the addition of a ford logo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts