Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 (V) 2 litre zetec has just started running rough while giving off a really bad sulphur/burning smell! It doesnt accelerate smooth and the smell is very bad when stood still!

Any ideas what it could be?

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
check the handbrake.... and go to the rear wheels and smell...

Burning brake smell from there?

Coz it just sounds too familiar....

Phil

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
why on earth would rough running and a sulphur smell have anything to do with the brakes :crazy: , lamnda sensor / catalytic convertor / coilpack / sparkplugs are going to be the problem here i reckon , firstly , pull the plugs out and post back with the condition of them , a photo of them would be a good idea if you can :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
no problem , a picture paints a thousand words as the saying goes :L

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
why on earth would rough running and a sulphur smell have anything to do with the brakes :crazy: , lamnda sensor / catalytic convertor / coilpack / sparkplugs are going to be the problem here i reckon , firstly , pull the plugs out and post back with the condition of them , a photo of them would be a good idea if you can :L
Whoops! Well i must have been lucky so far and haven't experienced anything like that! :tongue: Sorry about any misleading caused! :D

Phil

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have now found out that the car is only firing on three cylinders!

When I remove the HT lead from cylinder 4 the car runs exactly the same as when its on. When I remove any of the others the car cuts out. I swapped the plugs round and it made no difference so I bought a new set of HT leads and it still runs rough!

Do you think it is probably the distributor?

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been getting some other advice and been told it could be a broken valve. If it is then how much will I be looking at to repair?

Also is the car ok to drive on 3 cylinders, only doing short local journeys (no more than 30mph)?

·
Registered
738 Posts
have you checked to see if plug is sparking on number 4 cylinder?compression test should comfirm valve prob or not,running on 3 pots will proably knacker the cat as the unburnt fuel will burn in the cat and break it.

·
Megger
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had the car on the computer and it did turn out to be the coil pack. They have put a new one on and it is (apparently) running ok now. Wont know until I pick it up after work later!

They have also told me that I have a broken spring on the front drivers side, any idea how much it will cost to replace?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.