Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mondeo mk 4 estate, 59 plate, Titanium Sport X

my factory fitted satnav, uptil now faultless (aside from telling me I was in a field when actually on a 'new' road) now has no idea where I am - last time I looked at the map I was literally in the middle of the English Channel.......................

When I hit the info button, instead of saying 7-8-9 satellites it says 'no satellites' - any ideas on the fault and how to fix it? I have a service plan with the local dealership but anything outside of the plan rules is charged extra; last time I needed a fuse for the dash charger and they added £5.70 when I had already sunk upwards of £240 into an annual plan and they 'accidentally' showed me the true cost was about £160 so these plans are a iffy anyway.

hence reluctant to use the dealership unless no option - tried to enter my location manually, but as it doesnt know which way you are facing as soon as you drive off it loses your real location.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi

On the MK3 it was usually water ingress into the aerial base that caused this problem. A new replacement then resolves the fault. Does the MK 4 pick up signal from same point?

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

sorry for the post......I had searched but not found anything, now in minutes you have pointed me to a half a dozen appropriate posts, doh

from reading these, its either a wet/faulty GPS antenna (cheap) or a had-it head unit (expensive)

know which one I am hoping for...............

·
65 Posts
Ive just had this on a Ford Smax I recently sold.

It was water ingress on the gps antenna and rather than buying the expensive ford item I bought a fakra gps antenna from ebay for under a tenner.

Plugged it in and its been fine since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Plugged it in and its been fine since."

plugged it in where? Did you take the radio unit out and plug in to the back, or did you take the light unit out so you could get at the old gps antenna which, apparently, is under the aerial and swap items there?

·
Registered
385 Posts
"Plugged it in and its been fine since."

plugged it in where? Did you take the radio unit out and plug in to the back, or did you take the light unit out so you could get at the old gps antenna which, apparently, is under the aerial and swap items there?
The GPS aerial is in the base of the radio aerial on the roof, its the slightly bulbous lump.

A new base is about £60 from Ford, plus the labour to change it of course - there is a plugin cable it sits in.

The GPS mouse (with a Fakra connector) will need to connect to the GPS socket on the back of the nav - its the blue coloured connector. The good news is that these only cost about £20 from ebay and have a nice long cable. I sit mine in the bottom LH side of the windscreen close to the tax disc. The not so good news is that you have to virtually remove the nav from the dash to get to the connector at the back. You will need special removal tools - about £5 from ebay for a set of 4, but be warned, when using these tools - once the tool is inserted it cant be removed again until the nav unit is pulled forward a few inches and release tabs pressed in from the rear .......

Keep us posted .....

Rob

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Had the same white screen for a week but lol have spryed WD40 all around the aerial base on roof for 4 days now i have 8 satterlites, to help thiis i found a tight O ring i smotherd in vasaline pushed it underneath with small srcew driver so hope rhis sorts it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.