Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Big Megger
210 Posts
Hi folks,

A few months ago I started getting a brake-squealing type of noise from the rear o/s wheel of my 2003 (pre-facelift) Mondy 2.5 estate after I'd been doing a steady seventy on the motorway for ten miles or so. However it would do it even though I wasn't applying the brakes - and would continue to do so if I *did* apply them...

The noise has recently developed into a cacophonic "droning" or low-pitched "screaming" noise. It gets very loud indeed and understandably scares the willies out of any passengers I have with me! If I slow down, the noise quietens considerably. If I speed up the noise becomes unbearably loud.

I commute every day on the motorway but the noise doesn't appear every day, so I don't think it's a wheel bearing problem.

The car was recently in for a service and I asked the dealer to investigate but they couldn't find a fault... but whether they actually looked for it is, of course, debateable!

The car has done just over 40,000 miles and is on its original set of discs and pads, so the latter are probably due for replacement - but why would I get the noise when I am *not* braking?

Has anyone else had experienced this problem...?

Many thanks in advance!

--

Cheers,

Dave

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
It could be handbrake related,to check whether
you have got a binding handbrake,just do a little test,when you are having this noise,on a very slight down slope does the car free wheel out
of gear,the othe thing is get out of the car and
put your hand on the outside of the alloy or
steel rim and feel if ithas got very hot,be careful cos it could be,and you might also see
some heat evaporation and some smoke,all tell tale
signs of a binding handbrake,and MK3's do suffer
with this problem.
If it is not the handbrake the other fault is
the inner wheel bearing,i know you have said
that it's been checked,but the sound that you are
getting is very "wheel bearing nackered noise",
i had an ST24 front make exactly the same noise
from the front nearside,it was the inner bearing
i had it replaced and it was ok.
The other thing load lugging estates will get
rear wheel bearing failure at some point in there
life.
Good luck hope you cure it. :L

·
Big Megger
210 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Kazuyadog!...

I do hope it's not the bearings because on Mk 3 Mondeos you actually have to replace the entire hub. I've suffered wheel bearing wear on previous Sierra and Mondeo estate cars and am therefore familiar with the tell-tale mildly annoying drone/rumble. The noise I am getting now, however, is a far more "aggressive" sound and is so loud that it drowns out any conversation I am having with a passenger.

"Can you hear that noise?"
"Eh?"
"CAN YOU HEAR THAT NOISE??"
"Sorry, mate, I can't hear you 'cos of that noise! What the hell is it??!"

You could be on to something with respect to the handbrake. The car is normally parked on a slight incline overnight and quite often when I set off in the morning, there is a slight "thump" from the back wheels when I release the handbrake. I can't say there seems to be any actual resistance to movement, though, and certainly the car will freewheel quite happily at that point....

But it's difficult to confirm the freewheel test because the noise problem only occurs at speeds at and beyond 70mph. Next time it occurs, if there's a service station nearby I'll pull off and see if there is excessive heat coming from the wheel.

--

Cheers,

Dave

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
It's the wear indicators on the pads.
On the Mk3 there are two metal curly things, one on each end of the pad, these are rivetted through the pad and when the pad gets low the rivet head rubs on the disk and these springs resonate (howl) to let you knowthe pads are low and need changing.

·
Big Megger
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kithmo said:
It's the wear indicators on the pads.
On the Mk3 there are two metal curly things, one on each end of the pad, these are rivetted through the pad and when the pad gets low the rivet head rubs on the disk and these springs resonate (howl) to let you knowthe pads are low and need changing.
Thanks for the info, kithmo. The interesting thing is that when teh car was in for it service a few weeks ago, the dealer reckoned the pads would last another 5,000 miles. From what you say, it seems like they never even bothered to look at the pads!

--

Cheers,

Dave

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
Dealer not wanting to change pads at every service ?...very rare.
When I took my previous 2001 Mk3 in for a service in Feb 2003, they said the front pads were 70% worn and the rears were 90% worn and wanted to change them and charge me £75 per axle. Funny I thought, last time I'd looked at them, a few weeks earlier, they looked as though they had plenty on them. When I got the car home after the service, I checked them again and sure enough there was plenty of meat on them. The 90% worn rears went another 18 months (12k miles for me) and the fronts went another 2.5 years (20k miles) before I changed them myself with about 3-4 mm of material still left on them. They tried the same with SWMBO's Focus last year and I told them politely where to get off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

After reading this post i'd like your opinion about my 'noise from the rear of the car'.

It started this morning, and at first sounded like a kind off brake squeal, but it has got little worse today, in that more noise is now evident. It isn't present when i first drive the car, but after about ten minutes it gets worse, and at low speeds it seems even louder, although i suspect this may due to the fact that there's no road noise etc.

I've read it may be a handbrake issue........if it is what steps could i take to stop it?

I'll admit to being a little miffed as i've only just got the car, so could do with lots of reassurance and virtual group 'don't panic' hugs!!! (in a purely non gay type of fashion you understand!!) :laugh: I'm no mechanic so i suspect i may take it to a local garage if the solution isn't quick/painless/easy/foolproof!!

Cheers

Sorry........DOH! i have a 51 plate 2.5 Zetec S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lydian said:
Hi Guys,

After reading this post i'd like your opinion about my 'noise from the rear of the car'.

It started this morning, and at first sounded like a kind off brake squeal, but it has got little worse today, in that more noise is now evident. It isn't present when i first drive the car, but after about ten minutes it gets worse, and at low speeds it seems even louder, although i suspect this may due to the fact that there's no road noise etc.

I've read it may be a handbrake issue........if it is what steps could i take to stop it?

I'll admit to being a little miffed as i've only just got the car, so could do with lots of reassurance and virtual group 'don't panic' hugs!!! (in a purely non gay type of fashion you understand!!) :laugh: I'm no mechanic so i suspect i may take it to a local garage if the solution isn't quick/painless/easy/foolproof!!

Cheers

Sorry........DOH! i have a 51 plate 2.5 Zetec S.
Hi

Just to give a bit more of a description........i've just driven home so i can tell you more about the noise!!

I'm pretty sure it's from the O/S rear. The noise is a costant pitch, which doesn't alter if i use the brakes..and desn't seem to change with speed increase or decrease.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:shifty:

·
Big Megger
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well having replaced my rear pads a couple of weeks back (and noting that, contrary to what the dealer said, there was nothing like 5,000 miles of wear left in them!) the 'orrible noise has not returned, so thanks for the advice gang!

--

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.