Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
mine has beeped once since i had the car, the indicator shows on the speedo and the button on the centre console thong though.

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
The one on the centre console is just for the passenger air bag, to show that it is deactivated. I.e. the passenger seatbelt is fastened, but there is insufficient load on the seat for the airbag to be priimed.

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well when i switch the ignition on, the light next to the hazard warning lights comes on and then goes off again. The one on the dash illuminates too but then also goes off. If i remove my belt while driving nothing happens. I thought the light was supposed to come on followed by a beeping sound? Its never worked since ive had the car, so was thinking the previous owner must have deactivated it? Or isnt it supposed to have one anyway, in which case what are the warning lights for?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The one next to the hazard lights comes on and goes off at ignition to tell you the light is working.

To Test the passenger airbag light properly:

Go to the chinese (or your prefered take-away) and purchase a meal for you and the good lady. Place the meal on the passenger seat and put the seatbelt around it to secure your meal.

With the seatbelt buckled, the light should stay on while you are driving. This is to indicate that the Airbag will NOT activate in the event of an accident, as the car has determined that there is not enough sufficient weight to warrant the deployment (I.E. there is no passenger, just your jakbit).

As for the Seatbelt reminder, I am yet to activate it, but wasn't aware that fords had this in their cars. This is however a standard feature on all Volvo's (who incidently invented the 3-point seatbelt) so may make it's way in now that Ford own Volvo.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Nope, it is definately an Airbag warning light. Basically, the airbag will NOT deploy in the result of an accident if the seatbelt is NOT buckled. But if the seatbelt is buckled in order to secure something (like a take-away) and there is not enough weight, the airbag will still NOT deploy. This light just tells you that if you wrap the car up, it won't set that airbag off.

Knowing this however gets me thinking. Will the drivers side Airbag NOT deploy if the seatbelt is NOT buckled??

I always drive with my seatbelt on, it feels more comfortable, but just wondering as there are people who have Medical Afflictions that make it impossible for them to wear the seatbelt (and they are able to obtain an exemption from their GP to prove it). So if the same logic was to be applied to the Drivers side as is the passenger side, they are at double the risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.