Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry for the lame first post - Be gentle lol

I have only serviced motorbikes before and since my car is out of warranty, I was going to do mine.

Got no problems with most of it, and I will be buying the Haynes manual tomorrow to help out, but just a couple of quick q's for those in the know

Diesel fuel filter, I hear bad things about changing these out - is it just a case of making sure its full of diesel before starting or do I need to do something else.

Aftermarket parts - stay well away or not really much to worry about? Was just going to buy Halfrauds parts...

Cheers :)

Undead

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am also used to servicing bikes and the thought of servicing the car was a bit daunting, actually it's very easy with the oil drain bolt and the oil filter being right next to each other under the engine. Just be carefull to use the correct size socket when undoing the oil filter housing. The fuel filter was fairly easy too, as you say just fill it up with diesel beforehand, although my car did take a while to restart. With the TDCI it's important to use the correct grade of oil- 5w-30 but a lot more oil companies are making a ford compatible oil so that's not really a problem. It should take about an hour all in.
Jim.

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
What is there to service on a diesel?

It seems it's oil and filter as a regular, then it's air and fuel filter with maybe a pollen filter occassionally. Change the brake fluid every two years (although I think that is not necessary until you notice the brake becoming spongy).

Other things to keep an eye on are brake pads and bushes but a pre MOT check will catch all of that stuff.

How about air con and power steering - what do you do about them?

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
not sure about most of that apart from use the aircon all year round , not all the time , just use it now and then , keeps everything lubricated and avoids losing the gas :L

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
not sure about most of that apart from use the aircon all year round , not all the time , just use it now and then , keeps everything lubricated and avoids losing the gas :L
Why not just leave it running all the time? Keeps the car icey cold in the summer and dries out the air in the winter to keep the car nice and mist free! If you use it all the times, it should be serviced every 2-3 years and will cost 50-60 quid for a full drain, clean, pressure check and refill :D

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.