Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been down to Ford Dealer (Brunel Ford Bristol) and asked the following... jaw dropped for a moment but kept my face straight :D I know some are in the wrong bit but don't want to open too many topics.... :tongue:

Replace Clutch Kit (Clutch Plate, Release Bearing, Slave Cylinder) £470

Power Steering Pump (£446), Steering Rack (£761)

Brake Discs & Pads (Front - £195, Rear £220)

Radiator Flush & Coolant Change £39.99

Cambelt Change £282

I know these are all rip off price but just want to get some advice from you guys. Also what should be the 'more reasonable' price?

Cheers

Phil

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
If you needed to get all that done, then just scrap the car as its no way economically viable to get that lot done.

You're talking well over £2k worth of stuff there (at those prices anyway) and I'm guessing if you are requiring steering rack and pump stuff then its a very high miler. Even if it was half that repair cost (which may be possible at an independent) I would still consider getting rid or trading in.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well power steering, i can live with that. Also i have been quoted somewhere nearby with the pump cost £75 and Rack £85. So much cheaper that way...

Brakes... yes that's a rip off. Is there a way to change the brakes without the need of bleeding the whole hyrdaulic system? Coz with the clutch change the system will have to be bleeded anyway....

Radiator Flush... well does that sound any more reasonable?

Cambelt... well not sure about that myself now... able to shed any light?

Cheers

Phil

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right then... time for some serious braking business... time to ignore the advice of using engine braking! :ph34r:

Cambelt change advice anyone? :tongue:

Also is the radiator flush and coolant change price alright?

Phil

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Cambelt change - should be able to get this done for £150 or under, including the pulleys. Independents should be able to do this.

Question is, does it need doing? Do you know when it was last done - the service intervals on an Endura DE are 5 years/70k, although its good peace of mind to get it done.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Radiator flush and coolant change, not sure to be honest. At an independent you could probably get it done for £25-30.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DavePage said:
Question is, does it need doing? Do you know when it was last done - the service intervals on an Endura DE are 5 years/70k, although its good peace of mind to get it done.
Well tbh i am slightly considering that i have bought a lemon as the dealer only said to me that the cambelt was changed...

The dealer changed hand and the guy that sold me the car is no longer there and although the place looks much better and tidy than before! In fact i have just got the V5 New Keeper's Supplement part today as i still haven't got the V5 since bought the car in September!

So going to send off the form tomorrow, and then ask for a previous owner information, and try to contact the person and ask about this... no harm in asking i reckon... :tongue:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Yeah - ask them if they had any issues with the car as they have nothing to lose really. If the dealer said the cambelt was changed but didnt either say they did it, or have proof it was done before they got it then I would be very cautious and get it done.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeh.... the original budget i was given was 3 grand, and i have only used 2. These services are kind of expected really... :tongue: although didn't expected they will have to be done this soon....

oh yeh Dave, how much should i be expecting for the clutch change?

Though i have to say... the slipping clutch is forcing me to improve my throttle technique really... :D

Phil

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
I would find a trustworthy independent garage and get them to do the timing belt/clutch and do the brakes and radiator myself, they are really simpl jobs.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ELDUDERENO said:
I agree, buy yourself a Haynes manual and do the brakes and coolant yourself. The only way to learn is by getting your hands dirty, it's not rocket science.
I know.. but one thing that puts me off is that i don't have any off street parking place coz i live on an A road... and i am not too keen to get under the car or on the side when lorries fly pass... :innocent: I would really love to do it myself but i would value my life more...

Phil

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
I see what you mean, dude, haven't you got a mate or relative that would let you do it outside thier house.

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Just getting some work done on my car at the moment. Clutch went on Xmas Eve, so needed that, also, its due a cambelt. On top of that, it needed 2 wishbones (cheaper and easier than bushes), so went off for some quotes.
Cheapest came in at £440 for the lot fitted, which wasnt bad. Clutch is £243, Belt kit is £150 - 160. This is with an independant, so its a good idea to shop around. Worst quote was the ford dealer, who wanted nearly £1k, as did one of the "clutch speciallists".

As for your power steering / rack problem.... Im not sure what is up with it, but unless its serious, id try some new fluid in there, costs a fraction of new parts and may cure all the problems (did on fathers 2.0l petrol one).

Good luck in getting it sorted.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well looking out at the garages at the moment...

just wondering... is bleeding the brake system involved in clutch changing and is it better to get the brake system changed at the same time or should i leave it till later? Coz the brakes still have got a bit of life left....

Cheers everyone again...

Phil

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think the 04 version is not out yet.... due to it being too new!

I guess if you are after general mechanical work the 03 version may be sufficient, but any engine related work, better wait till it comes out...

Maybe someone else will be able to shed some light...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.