Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Should I buy a Mondeo and, if so, which one?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sotosound 
#1 ·
As a three-time owner, I've always had a soft spot for the Ford Mondeo.

As a three time owner I've also, however, had a soft spot for the Volvo V70, which is my current car.

My three Mondeos (a 54-Reg Titanium X TDCi 155, a 59-Reg 2.2 TDCi Titanium, and a 59-Reg 2.0 TDCi Titanium) have all been manual, but both my first V70 and my current V70 (a 64-Reg D4 SE Lux with 136k miles on the clock) have been automatic, and I don't see myself going back to a manual gearbox again.

Right now, however, I'm at an automotive crossroads, with three main directions of travel that I can see: -

1. Spend a chunk of money, possibly £3k, which would enable my V70 to serve me for several more years.
  2. Spend a chunk of money and buy a V90 (they're all automatic).
  3. Spend a chunk of money and buy a Ford Mondeo with automatic transmission.

If I look at the Mondeo, I would probably want a Titanium as a minimum, I'd want performance that's roughly comparable with my V70 D4, and I'd also want an automatic, but I'm wary of the Ford Powershift transmission.

If I go by motoring websites I can find lots of good reasons to choose a V70, a V90 and a Mondeo, but I can also read horror stories about all three vehicles.

My reason for starting a thread here is, therefore, to ask Talkford members for their experiences and opinions of the current Mondeo range.

Is it better than the previous 2007-2015 range? Which are the engines to have and which are the engines to avoid? What about transmissions? What about the various types of headlights? What about infotainment systems? Is the Mondeo more trouble than it's worth or is it a relatively safe bet? Basically anything and everything from the people who are in the know.

My budget will be up to £15k.

Any views would be most welcome.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't do diesel but I absolutely loved my fully kitted 2015 2 litre ecoboost Titanium with X Pack

If you buy a Mk5 Mondeo diesel models will be Getrag Powershift (Wet Clutch) 6DCT450 which requires a trans oil and filter change every 37,500 miles or 3 years whichever soonest. Do not buy one unless there is invoice proof of this requirement.
A Mk5 Mondeo petrol model is a normal 6 speed torque converter type trans out of Ford USA, no official servicing required.
In many people's opinion standard Mondeo headlamps are very poor.
Mine had the optional LED auto dip units and they are brill, expensive if they go wrong, but I would not ever choose a car without them.
My BMW does not have them and I miss them like crazy. Fortunately the actual light beams are excellent on the beemer but having to dip the lights is an absolute chore now (It's a bit of a story on how I ended up with my beemer)

Reactions: sotosound
#3 ·
I don't do diesel but I absolutely loved my fully kitted 2015 2 litre ecoboost Titanium with X Pack

If you buy a Mk5 Mondeo diesel models will be Getrag Powershift (Wet Clutch) 6DCT450 which requires a trans oil and filter change every 37,500 miles or 3 years whichever soonest. Do not buy one unless there is invoice proof of this requirement.
A Mk5 Mondeo petrol model is a normal 6 speed torque converter type trans out of Ford USA, no official servicing required.
In many people's opinion standard Mondeo headlamps are very poor.
Mine had the optional LED auto dip units and they are brill, expensive if they go wrong, but I would not ever choose a car without them.
My BMW does not have them and I miss them like crazy. Fortunately the actual light beams are excellent on the beemer but having to dip the lights is an absolute chore now (It's a bit of a story on how I ended up with my beemer)
Many thanks for this. Greatly appreciated.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Reactions: sotosound
#5 ·
#6 ·
Soto, are you in uk. We have recall on Mondy steering racks, see link below. If you have no time to read it all recall info is from post 208 on page 21

https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/page-1

Ford Fusion (USA Mondeo almost) have same.

Problem also known on some BMWs and Mini, plus some Land Rover models - steering racks all same design
Many thanks for this.
PS Yes.

#7 ·
Hi

My MK5 is a 2016 Titanium with the X-Pack, full body kit and 19" wheels. Happened apron this particular 207ps car at a fair price when looking to replace previous MK3 ST TDCi. Not sure if newer models come with the same specifications of this age car.

Certainly does everything is says on the tin, and comes with enough bells and whistles for me. Due to bloated dimensions of the MK5 would class it as a refined cruiser rather than a sporting car. Weight of car means it feels a little sluggish away from stationary but car does get a move on if you floor the pedal, not my normal driving style. Performance is just there when you need it for acceleration to overtake as mostly single carriageway roads in my neck of the woods.

Perhaps your choice may simply be determined by selection of available vehicles available to you in your price range.

Peter

#8 ·
Hi

My MK5 is a 2016 Titanium with the X-Pack, full body kit and 19" wheels. Happened apron this particular 207ps car at a fair price when looking to replace previous MK3 ST TDCi. Not sure if newer models come with the same specifications of this age car.

Certainly does everything is says on the tin, and comes with enough bells and whistles for me. Due to bloated dimensions of the MK5 would class it as a refined cruiser rather than a sporting car. Weight of car means it feels a little sluggish away from stationary but car does get a move on if you floor the pedal, not my normal driving style. Performance is just there when you need it for acceleration to overtake as mostly single carriageway roads in my neck of the woods.

Perhaps your choice may simply be determined by selection of available vehicles available to you in your price range.

Peter
Many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.