Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this kit and all it has is a surround with an opening for single DIN radio and a pocket below.
There are no tabs on it to secure it to the factory radio aperture or a rear support which slides onto the support rail.
Is this kit workable? I test fitted it and it just flobs about, I don't see how it would magically secure itself once the weight of radio is added (if anything, wouldnt it make it worse?)
Anyway, I've not fitted radio yet, because there is this plastic bar in the middle, which will be removed. If I cut it out and it doesn't work out, I may not be able to return it.
I could modify the fitting kit by attaching the factory radio rear support to the lower pocket. (To do this, it needs a solid, long bolt but wouldn't be ideal)
These are the side and the back views, no securing tabs.

Some others I found online have either tabs

or rear support

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you buy it from? Similar UK one here, but looks like you should have been offered brackets or cage with it.
Some local guy. I was looking for one with the tabs/rear support and I couldnt find any here, so I've been asking at a few places what would fit Mk3 Mondeo (pre-facelift). And this was what they said would be the correct kit, which is the reason I bought it. I couldn't verify what it looked like or what other bits it came with it because it was on backorder.
This one looks like the whole shebang.

just a cheap adaptor, i normaly tack them in with hot glue seems to work ok and still removable if needed
I get that these are 20 year old cars but I was looking for something that works properly, not something I need to hot glue.
Yes it was a cheapie but I'd rather have something that works.

I'll try to get money back then.
Thanks guys.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who needs a cubby hole, all it does is to collect dust inside... lol
I'll contact the vendor and see if I can remove the plastic bar in the middle and try it and still be eligible for return if it doesn't work. Otherwise I'll just return it - It's supposed to be a fitting kit, should be able to securely fit and reversible.
Thanks.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes but unfortunately it's for a different model car and no longer available...

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the vendor says the fascia kit is first placed then radio cage is inserted. by bending tabs of the cage is supposed to secure the cage and the fascia kit to the factory surround.
i'll give that a go and see what happens. i don't think it's the ideal way to secure a radio but i might be wrong.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've watched this youtube video and it looks similar (I think this has a blank cover below the radio slot, as he bends the lower tabs too. I can't do that is the pocket is in the way)
A small issue I have is, some of the tabs on my cage is not long enough to reach the factory surround opening, so I need to trim the surround a bit, I think. I don't expect it to a problem though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts