Ford Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a 2 1/2 year old Mk2 from an auction as my taxi. I had noticed on the service history that it had 3 repairs for the fuel system and thought nothing of it.

I had that car 2 years and it would either run perfect, half perfect or cut out as though it had run out of fuel. Leave it for an hour or two and it would start and go. Very frustrating, the times I wanted to torch the bleeding thing! Never ever dare do an airport job.

I had several garages look and charge me fot the usual filters, filter housing and other waste of time diagnostics. So one day I was going through a neighboring town and past a diesel workshop and called in. The owner must have been 70 at least and told me he only did diesel workshop work not on car repairs but offered to look. It was lucky for me it was in half perfect mode. Straight away he noticed the fuel primer being sucked down and diagnosed a blocked fuel pipe. He sent me next door to a hgv repair garage to have my fuel pipe have compressed air blown down it. There was a obstruction and then it went. They said whatever it was had almost blocked off the whole pipe and now it will be in the tank as well as my filter gauze in the tank after blowing it off.

What a different car on the way back! Never had so much power. I booked it in with a garage to have the tank cleaned out and fuel pipe and to refit the gauze filter. Only had the car for another 3 months but what a difference it made. The offending particle was like an oval shaped pebble, i can only guess it acted like a valve.

2 years of crap though.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
Rendermaster you need to start a new thread with your probs mentioned above...sticking it on at the end of one isn't the usual done deal....open a new one up Mondeo Mk3 ..you'll get more answers

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,120 Posts
i once had a customers car (can't remember what it was) that had a similar problem. the blockage was caused by a crisp packet. work that one out.
Crisp packets are normally found in diesel tanks not petrol ones.

Do I hear you ask what flavour? SMOKEY bacon of course :)

Reactions: gaskell71

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi there,

Well it looks like i have got the exact same problem lots of bubbles in the fuel and eventualy it cuts out ! How difficult was the tank to remove was thinking about access from above but it seems that can be a pain to do ! I take it that your car had no lift pump ?

The thing i noticed about mine is that after i put fuel in from a jerry can thinking the gauge could be faulty . Am sure thats when the bubbles disappeared and i took it for a test run and it cut out again !

Think fueling it temperally moved the obstruction then it must have got sucked back again !!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts