Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Anyone else had /have a sleepy fuel guage?

I can fill my ZetecS to the brim, get back in and the fuel gauge will still be in the red and the computer showing 35 miles left in the tank. Then over the next hour the guage will slowly go up and the computer adjusts as it goes :loopy:

It's in for a service this weekend so they will be looking at it. It still under warrenty (50,000) so they can sort it out!

Just interested to know if it is just mine or have others had this too?

Daz

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right.. Ford appartently say this is a feature of the Mondeo as the fuel goes in faster than the sender unit can register it! My dealership said that Ford have release a notification of this.

Does any one know if this is ture or do they just not want to replace the sender unit under warrenty?

When I fill up with £10 or £20 the guage reacts straight away only when I fill to the brim does this happen.

Daz

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
my fuel gauge registers £10-£20 of fuel straight away but when brimming the tank the gauge shoots upto just over 3/4 and then slows until it sits just above the full mark where it sits for a while.

this is what i think the ford dealer is meaning but your problem sounds more of a problem than this.

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah mine does not move at all and still registers the "empty level" and then over the next few hours will slowly go up to the full mark.

Daz

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
mine is finished and at the full mark after about a minute but it is a very noticable delay when filling the tank instead of a part fill.

if it takes more than 5 minutes to register the fuel level i would think there is something wrong somewhere, but taking a few hours is just not right. sounds to me like they are spinning a line to get out of the warrenty repair.

Was it the dealer that said its a feature or ford themselves. I recently got told by a dealer "Its not even worth filling in the paperwork" when i went in about my doors beginning to rust. my local dealer ( no bodyshop there though ) said they could do nothing either. Went further away and the dealer there filled in the paperwork and my car is in next week being sorted under warrenty. ( he also told me that my local dealer could have sorted it as they could have contracted it out to the authorised bodyshop they use nearby - i also got told this by the bodyshop themselves as i went there for a quote after the first 2 dealers washed there hands of me. £1100 or there abouts ( estimated ) is the reason i went a little further away and i am glad i did. )

dont just go on what one dealer has told you, get yourself down to another dealer ( if the warrenty is not with that one dealer only that is ) as they may be more helpful.

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar experience when my rear sub frame needed changing. Dealer with Rapid fit was fitting me a tyre. They said the frame was looking like it was needed changing. I said it was booked in for service at my local dealer. They said to mension it to get it sorted. Local dealer took a look and said "it's fine". I left it as did not have time to be going back and forth. As I got round to the next service the ride quality had gone right down the pan, so went back to dealer that said it needed changing and they booked it in. For convenience I had it serviced at local deal the weekend before it was booked in for sub frame. As I collected it I asked "Is everything OK, nothing else needs looking at?" the reply - "No everything is fine!!". 2 days later new subframe under warrenty and a car that drove like new again!

Saying that Dealer with rapid fit fitted tyres that kept going down. I went back and they said that it was due to the wheels expanding and contracting due to heat as I travel long distances :loopy: Rather than the real cause that I found out afterwards that the metal valves were leaking!

Moral of the story -- Trust no one!

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
compuwiz_uk said:
mine is finished and at the full mark after about a minute
I spoke a little too soon here. :doh: just been and stuck £15 in as the low fuel light had just flicked on, started the car afterwards and the light stayed on and the needle did not budge at all.

Went and asked the petrol station if the pump was OK and they tested it and all was well, they asked for my details just in case i did run out of fuel or they do find a problem with the pump, they can then deal with it.

Driving round and the guage still would not budge ( at all ). 35 minutes later i got to the dealers i was on my way to anyway and asked them if they could have a quick look at it as it had still not budged.

I turned the key to show them and it did nothing, they turned the key and it shot straight to 1/2 a tank and has been fine since.

:BEEP: :BEEP: :BEEP: cars :BEEP: :BEEP: :D :D

They chuckled and said thats a new one and told me to bring it back if it does it again and they will check it out further.

So its still can be a problem even when not brimming the tank.

Went back to the petrol stantion and told them the gauge now indicates half a tank as it should have been doing so it was my car at fault not there pump.

·
Little Megger
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's typical you take it in to show someone the problem and the damn thing behaves! I had a similar situation with my oil pressure light. I came out of work, started the car oil light stayed on. Oh Oh - checked oil level but was ok. I nipped down to the local garage in one of the company pool cars just in case I needed some. When I got back 20 mins later> I checked the oil again - it was fine. Started it again and the light stayed on. So I called my breakdown company as the hand book says not to drive. Not wanting to jepodise a warrenty claim I though I better call them out. Any way waited 40mins for recovery truck to arrive. He checked everything again, fired it up and the :BEEP: ing thing went out. That was 4 weeks ago and not been a problem since!!

Going back to fuel guage mine seams to have sorted itself out. I usually run full tanks from top to bottom but I had about 3 part fills of about £10. The needle reacted as it should. Since then I have had 2 full tanks and (touch wood) it's been ok.

I wonder if it is possible to get something in the sender that gams it up??

Other than that I am at a loss to explain!?

Daz

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
I have no idea if mine is any better.

The day after i had the gauge issue i took my car in for its doors sorting under warrenty ( thats why i was on my way to the dealer where it started working in the first place - to see if a few little additions could be done while it was in ) I am expecting to get my mota back at some point tomorrow. ( they have had it since wednesday so it will be 5 days without my mondy )

Its gonna get a hammering when i get it back, its got 5 days worth of :driving: to catch up on :D so i should be able to give the fuel guage a test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts