Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a Ford Galaxy 2011 Titanium 1.6 TDCi running on standard Ford alloys with 225/50R17 tyres. Whilst these are not super low profile, I still find there is too much road noise. Has anyone tried switching to the other option of 215/60/R16 wheels and tyres (I would buy Ford 16" alloys that were originally listed as an option for the Galaxy/S-Max) and have they noticed any difference in road noise and comfort ?

· Super Moderator
31,912 Posts
Thr brand of tyres will make more difference than swapping wheel sizes. Some tyres are just noisy.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thr brand of tyres will make more difference than swapping wheel sizes. Some tyres are just noisy.
I always specify 68dB or 69dB tyres (by the way, that noise measurement is an external measurement at 7.5m from the tyre and does not necessarily bear any relationship to the noise generated in the car) I have currently been using Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2, or Pirelli P6000. Both of these are quiet tyres. On my other car (Skoda Superb), I switched from using 45 profile on 18" wheel to 55 profile on 16" inch wheels and there was a significant reduction in noise and improved comfort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts