Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed over the last 2 days my tdi seems to have a whiff of diesel or fumes noticeable from inside the car. exhaust is sound and theres no noticeable sign of any leakage though it does smell round what i think is the fuel filter housing near the bulkhead.seems to be worse in this cold snap , ive never noticed this smell before.
am i worrying too much or have i a problem developing ?

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Not sure if its this, but worth checking. When I first got my previous MK2TD I had a similar thing. When I checked under the bonnet there was a leak from the last injector - basically the first leads onto the second, etc. until the last one where there is a rubber stopper. It was the rubber stopper that had perished on mine - a new one on and it was sorted.

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this problem got steadily worse and along with a dip in performance and mpg no better than 45 for the last few days i took it back to the garage i bought it from and asked one of the mechanics to check it out. he removed the fuel filter and reckons there was a pinhole in it where there was signs of it rubbing in its holding bracket.the alternator was covered in diesel where it had been spraying out under pressure,great bit of design from Ford..NOT. a new filter later,free of charge and my mpg was back up to 56 on the way home from Doncaster and it picks up loads better & best of all it doesnt stink anymore.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
56MPG? I presumed you had either a MK1 TD or a MK2 TD - but surely not if you are getting 56MPG.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Still, best I have got out of a tank has been 47 (calculated - not trip computer bollox). I reacon on a long run I could get towards the mid 50's but if you are actually getting 56 consistently then you are getting very good MPG for a TDDI.

Would love to know what I need to do to my car to get that type of MPG regularly out of it.

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
like i say , 56 mpg was on a steady run and id reset the computer before i set off. that figure will drop below 50mpg once the wife starts going to bloomin Tesco in it and uses it round town.. :BEEP:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
To be honest I have had that myself. I reset the trip computer when I fill up, drive home at a steady pace any by the time I get home its around 50-55Mpg. Then over the course of the tank it drops to about 42/43 on the trip computer - but its actually underestimating by about 4 MPG I find.

Best way of keeping accurate track is to keep records and calculate it manually. The trip computer is nice for an idea of if you are driving economically or not - but I have yet to find it accurate. Funnily enough the TDCi trip computers tend to overestimate (from what I have seen on here).

To do the calculations try filling up at the same pump on consecutive fill-ups.

Fill up the first time - once the pump clicks off dont try and put any more in. Reset the mileometer thingy and then drive as normal. When you need to fill up again, do the same - fill up at the same pump if you can and when it clicks off the once don't try and put any more in. Make a note of the miles you have done and the litres you have put in and do this calculation.

Miles travelled / Litres used = [color:purple]Miles per litre[/color]
Miles per litre x 4.545 = [color:blue]Miles Per Gallon[/color]

[color:green]Boring I know, but I have kept records every tank for the last couple of years - basically since not long after I got my MK2 TD. Currently since getting my TDDI back in October I have averaged 43.9 MPG but thats increasing steadily. See attached screengrab of my spreadsheet.[/color]

Attachments

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used to keep a record like that when i had my old granada.after a few weeks i got depressed when it never got over 25mpg so i packed in doing it. :(

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
I did it for many years for tax reasons and I got 28 from a petrol Granada 2.0i auto, 34 from a manual 1.8 GLS Sierra petrol, 37 from a manual diesel 2.5TD Granada, 42 from a Mk1 TD Mondeo estate, and now 44 from my TDDi estate manual. Gordon Broon, eat your heart out! :L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts