Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Hmm i have to admit i did exaggerated a bit... it didn't smoke really but gave out a really bad burning smell...

Basically what happened was i did not fully released the hand brake.. and then drove along and didn't realised anything (perhaps my mind kind of wandered off :whistling:)

Did about 4 miles with one mile on motorway... :headshake:

Then when arrived and try to pull the handbrake lever... 'OH :BEEP:!' got off asap to the rear wheel, and could feel the heat coming out, not glowing hot yet but the alloy wheel was very warm already... :stupid: :stupid: :( :( and it gave off a really bad burnt smell...

Didn't put on the handbrake but just left the car in first gear for a few hours before driving off normally again... :(

Right, enough for the story... here are the questions...

What should i do now? Get it for a check? Coz when i apply the handbrake now it will only stop the car from moving completely if i pull the lever right to the top, otherwise the car still kind of moves slowly as if the handbrake is kind of skidding...

And how much affect it is going to have on the normal braking?

And lastly... whenever i pull the handbrake the handbrake light never comes on... what's the problem and how is this associates with the other problems i already have? The light hasn't been on for quite a while already...

Please anyone, Help! :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
you will have worn the pads\shoes down somewhat - but if it still works ok I wouldn't bother replacing them just yet! normal braking is 60% front so that won't really be affected too much.

as long as the car doesn't move when the handbrake is applied fully - no problem.

there is a switch that activates the handbrake light beneath or behind the lever on most cars - don't know what yours is. ;)

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
Mate of mine did this a few years ago in his Capri. He drove for miles complaining the car was sluggish and only noticed the handbrake was on when we got to where we were going!
His brakes were totally buggered on one side but that was mainly because he threw a bucket of water on them (they were glowing!) and they cracked rather spectacularly :D

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Handbrake pulled fully.. well at the moment if i am parking at a slight slope i will have to pull the lever real hard till it won't go any further to prevent it from moving.. even so when i attempted to push the car it would move...

I think i better send it in for a check...

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
might be worth using the handbrake to slow you down a little on a nice straight empty road to try & get rid of the probable glaze on them & allow them to bed in again & then the adjusters may bring the handbrake travel back to normal.

thats kinda what we did on my mums old astra when the front calipers started to seize up on the motorway, the brakes were crap after they had cooled down & after the calipers were free'd up we just sanded the top of the pads down abit & fitted them again and just drove carefully to bed them in again & they were still on the car when it was scrapped just over a year later.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers... probably i will still send the car in anyway... coz the handbrake lever travels a lot before the car will be 'locked'... and then the handbrake warning light is not working... so rather safe than sorry... even if it means pushing the gear selector problem back on treating.. so be it....

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
the handbrake light is probably just the switch starting to stick.

remove the coin holder & the button for the handbrake light should be under there & in need of abit of WD40 & a few presses with a screwdriver or somat similar to get the wd worked in, that cured the same problem on my mk1.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys for pushing this back to the top again.

I pulled out the coin holder and saw the switch... a silver screw like object... it does go up and down freely and is not stuck... so not sure what's wrong now... absolutely certain is not not the light in dash coz it lights up when starting up the car and occasionally will kept lit when starting before releasing handbrake...

Went down to Ford earlier on... for something else, and asked about this... tehy are going to charge £23.97 for adjusting the handbrake... and for the handbrake light diagnosis it's f:BEEP:king £79.90!

The handbrake will lock the car at the second click below the furthest travel....

What do u guys suggest?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.