Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TalkFord is Arse, Bring back MEG!
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a speedo problem for a while, well not as much as a problem as it doesn't work along with the fuel sender, seeing as my trip comp was showing my speed I figured it was the clocks that were naffed, so today I go to the scrappy and salvage me a set of MK1 V6 96 Ghia Clocks, fit them to mine there and then, switch the ignition on fuel light comes on momenterily so I know that its all working, I'm well happy, now I know what speed i'm doing and how much fuel I haven't got. Half way up the road I watch my speedo drop down to 40mph. At this point an awful lot of profanities exit my mouth. So I take a stab in the dark that the VSS sender is the big lump on the gearbox, with a block connector coming off, take it off and the connections are black squirt some wd40 on them and plug them in and out a few times. Result works perfect after 30miles, and my car now shows 70k, bad point is i'm £20 lighter! Bol*ocks!

:headshake:

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
nightmare! at least it was easy to fix, i wouldnt like to start taking an audi or merc dash apart or something like that.

P.S. nice avatar mate! terry and june rocks

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
how much difference is their in the miles before and after , it aint going to trip you up if you decide to sell is it :whistling:

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
I think the thing you have sprayed wd-40 on is actually the reverse gear sensor thing (that turns the reversing lights on).

The VSS is quite small, you can get to it from underneath, and it is just above the drive shaft (IIRC). Should have a couple of wires coming off it going to the multiplug.

If your new speedo is doing more than the other one though then I suspect that that is faulty, and more to the point, the trip computer speed readout is fed from the VSS, so if that works then the vss is fine!

·
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But it still failed like the other one, did exactly the same thing switch the ignition on no fuel light, wasn't till I messed around with that plug that it did something this was a multiplug with two wires coming from it. I'll see how it goes I've got to do some running round over the next couple of days so we'll see.

P.S. Sorry for putting it in the wrong place

·
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plus its the most its done in over a month, might fit the old one on for a few days.

Original millage is 132k, but I've noted the change on the back of the service book, plus it's got MOT's and Service History proving its not on 70k. I wouldn't like it done to me so wouldn't do it to anyone else

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts

·
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah now there's an interesting story phil, saw one of her "your going to die, but we'll give you a free clock and a bit of cash for your kids that hate you for £20 a month" mention'd gagetery and widgets and I pissed myself laughin end of story

FIN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts