Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing seems out of the ordinary other than when I turn the key into the final stage of ignition nothing happens. No clicks, no whirrs, no warning lights and certainly no engine noise. After a few more goes I can just keep the key turned forwards for a few seconds and eventually the engine rumbles into life.

Electrical? Solenoid perhaps?

·
Little Megger
4,453 Posts
Check to see if the immobiliser light is still flashing when this happens.

Reactions: FurryLippedSquid

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Same as above i assume its a dodgy key where the immobiliser is not picking

it up cleanly. Check the spare key.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi

Fob battery only operates remote locks.

Is ignition lock worn and not making contact on every occasion you turn key.

Peter

·
Little Megger
4,453 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Central locking does not use the immobiliser chip. The chip requires no battery

or other power source.

Had a dodgy key myself, didnt notice until i separated the 2 keys from the same fob

after buying it. 1st thing i did was create a 3rd key just in case.

Without a spare its going to be hard. You need 2 working keys to create more keys.

Although thats jumping the gun a bit without knowing what the immobiliser light is

doing. Possible a sticky starter motor solenoid.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I wait for the light to go out before turning the key, and waiting for a longer amount of time makes no difference.
I have found another possible answer at https://www.yourmechanic.com

"A lag between when the ignition key is turned to "Start" and when the starter kicks the engine over could be caused by a corroded or poorly connected high current connection to the starter - say a battery cable connection. The corrosion introduces resistance that current literally has to burn through in order to pass enough current to spin the starter motor. It could possibly be a weak starter if there is not voltage drop from the battery to the starter itself."

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Earth terminal under the battery tray is a common corrosion point.

Immobiliser light is off? Off all the time or other?

What does the LED do when teh cars locked and when happens when you unlock

the car and switch the ignition on?

·
Little Megger
4,453 Posts
Ignition switch itself? Or the starter relay playing up (in the fusebox)
Some things to check, anyway
Let us know how you get on ????

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Earth terminal under the battery tray is a common corrosion point.

Immobiliser light is off? Off all the time or other?

What does the LED do when teh cars locked and when happens when you unlock

the car and switch the ignition on?
The immobiliser light is perfectly normal as far as I can tell. It flashes when the car is locked, and stops when the car is unlocked and the ignition on.

I wait for the light to go out before turning the key, and waiting for a longer amount of time makes no difference.
I have found another possible answer at https://www.yourmechanic.com

"A lag between when the ignition key is turned to "Start" and when the starter kicks the engine over could be caused by a corroded or poorly connected high current connection to the starter - say a battery cable connection. The corrosion introduces resistance that current literally has to burn through in order to pass enough current to spin the starter motor. It could possibly be a weak starter if there is not voltage drop from the battery to the starter itself."
Cheers, I'll certainly have a poke around, see what I can see.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Interesting development. The microswitch under the lock button on the fob has failed. It still works with enough pressure but the positive click action I should feel has gone. Related? I took the key apart and don't think I'm up to the task of soldering a new microswitch in!

How do I go about replacing the only key I have for the car? Dealership? Loadsamoney?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Interesting development. The microswitch under the lock button on the fob has failed. It still works with enough pressure but the positive click action I should feel has gone. Related? I took the key apart and don't think I'm up to the task of soldering a new microswitch in!

How do I go about replacing the only key I have for the car? Dealership? Loadsamoney?
There are plenty of good auto locksmiths who can sort it out

My son lost his keys at work

Two years ago so the cost may be higher now

But to come out to his car, get in it and produce a new key £180

So it will be cheaper if you can take the Car to them and the car is unlocked?

I would do it as soon as possible before it lets you down

Also maybe get two?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found a local company who will replace the microswitch for a tenner. I'll probably get all three replaced at that price.

Thanks for the replies though!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts