Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
well yes and no m8 lol

look for roof flashing tape its a lot cheaper and does a good job if not better you wil lfind it on a roll like selotape its about 2mm thick tar sheets with a foil type backing.

i bought a roll 1500mm X 10m for my doors cant remember exact cost but it was definately under £15.

plenty to do inside all 4 door skins with some left over.

·
Big Megger
130 Posts
I bought sheets from www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk. About 10% of the price of the premium brands and just as good (as far as I can tell).
Basically, there appear to be two types - light weight elastomeric compunds and heavy bituminous compunds. The roofing felt sheets will be bituminous, and will add a lot of weight to the car.
I don't know how the two types compare though.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
its not that heavy not like its gonna affect mpg anyway. its a lot cheaper and does a very good job i was impressed when i did mine i experienced the before and after affects and there was quite a difference on mine and a few other people have used the same stuff as me.

mine came in a big tub you know like you get posters in with the plastic tray type lid either end it was loke that but a lot shorter and wider of course.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,404 Posts
roof flashing cannot be compared to dynamat extreme and similar proucts,

roof flashing is ok for blocking but doesnt make the metal any more rigiid, for that ud need dyanmat,

but if you're on a budget roof flashing tape isnt a bad idea at all,

good for covering boot floor, floor pan etc..

john

if u go to talkaudio.co.uk they know alot more about car audio and sound deadening, loads of posts about flashing tape as well!

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
theres nothing wrong with roof flashing tape and you cant really say it cant be compared to dynomat because it can it does the job very well it did in my car there was a very noticable difference.

also that place you mention would say that to sell the stuff obviously.

i was reccomended roof flashing tape by people on here who had major installs and some people who had not so good installs confirmed so i still dont see why you should spend what 2,3 or 4 times the price for the stuff.

·
Back in England.......
18,698 Posts
Excuse my ignorance (people often try to :D )

How would you put the tape in / on the doors? Do you put it on the inside of the outer door skin or put it in other places (oooer :} )

Cheers

Danny

·
MEG Sergeant
1,404 Posts
totalguy said:
theres nothing wrong with roof flashing tape and you cant really say it cant be compared to dynomat because it can it does the job very well it did in my car there was a very noticable difference.

i was reccomended roof flashing tape by people on here who had major installs and some people who had not so good installs confirmed so i still dont see why you should spend what 2,3 or 4 times the price for the stuff.
the ppl who i speak of on talk audio dont sell it m8, its just a forum and most ppl on there have proper audio installs and go to sound offs etc, and they know what they are talking about. i wudnt buy any dynamat but if u feel it its much moer rigid and going off what ppl have said, theres a large difference, anyway how would u know if u have never used it? :whistling: :tongue:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Talkaudio is a forum hosted by Car Audio Direct, who do sell the stuff...but there are a lot of VERY experienced people on there who will give their opinion regardless. The emphasis is on getting it right, as opposed to shifting stock.

Flashing tape does do a fairly good job, but it isn't as good as some of the dedicated dound deadenign products on the market. For hard to reach areas it does work nicely, but for larger areas, you're better off using a bituminous compound like Dynamat or Brown Bread.

There is a new product on the market called Second Skin - it's not widely available in the UK yet but it does look like it'll combine the ease of application of flashing tape with the effectiveness of traditional sheet-based deadening products.

B

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
gravedigger said:
just done my whole boot in roof flashing tape and under the rear bench seat, lot cheaper and as evective than the proper rip off brands
well done m8 :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Shorty_JKT said:
totalguy said:

the ppl who i speak of on talk audio dont sell it m8, its just a forum and most ppl on there have proper audio installs and go to sound offs etc, and they know what they are talking about. i wudnt buy any dynamat but if u feel it its much moer rigid and going off what ppl have said, theres a large difference, anyway how would u know if u have never used it? :whistling: :tongue:
because i have thanks :flipoff:

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
GingaGizmo said:
Excuse my ignorance (people often try to :D )

How would you put the tape in / on the doors? Do you put it on the inside of the outer door skin or put it in other places (oooer :} )

Cheers

Danny
that is correct

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Benny79 said:
Flashing tape does do a fairly good job, but it isn't as good as some of the dedicated dound deadenign products on the market. For hard to reach areas it does work nicely, but for larger areas, you're better off using a bituminous compound like Dynamat or Brown Bread.
i agree with that yeah but for areas like inside the door skins its not applicable you dont have to fit it around bends and all that and as per grave diggers pic its not as bad as you would think after all he's done his boot with it.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,274 Posts
heres my boot :L

·
MEG Sergeant
1,404 Posts
lol that boot is worth about 200 quid lol, well done m8!

·
Registered
126 Posts
all these materials are doing is damping the resonance of the panels, theoretically any closed container should stop sound getting out, but as the panels resonate the sound is transmitted, so stopping resonance is the way to go. the brandname product does this best because it was developed to do so.

I have a construction material very similar to Silicon that is used for sound proofing in wall constructions, it works by a process of Constrained layer damping(basically turning vibration in to heat)its very much like Silicon, but as its developed specially to do the job it outperforms silicon by some way

1 - 18 of 18 Posts