Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Probably in the wrong section but not sure where to put it really. Anyway, ive recently fitted some Lockwood dials (see multimedia section) and i want to make sure ive got the needles where they are supposed to be. Ive got the temp, fuel, and rev counter all spot on but its the speedo im after checking. Can someone with a Mk3 TDCi 130 (5 speed gearbox) tell me what revs they are getting at 30mph in 4th gear, and 70mph in 5th gear please? Must be with original dials please and be as accurate as possible. Cheers peeps. :L

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
why dont you just stick the dials into test mode & use the digital dash to give you a speed reading at those revs.

it was spot on on my mota compared to a GPS & the needle showed up a little slow compared to both the digital readout & GPS.

your mota came out of the factory with 18's so the rest of the gear should be set accordingly thus the digital readout is what your speedo gauge was getting before removing the needle ( probaly showed around 1.5-2mph slower than the digital display gives ) so its about as accurate as getting reading from on here ( only saying that as you could get reading on here from different engine temps etc which will not be useful to you :L )

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
yep a digital speed reading, basically the reading your speedo gauge is getting from the ECU or wherever it gets it from.

i think it is access as follows - YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR TRIP MILEAGE READING SO IF YOU NEED IT MAKE A NOTE OF IT FIRST

press & hold the trip reset button & then turn the ignition either to setting 2 or all the way to engine start while still holding the trip reset until the trip readout changes ( i think it changes to TEST but dont hold me to it )

you can then let go og the trip button & you are able to scroll through the different settings by pressing the trip button.

there are digital readouts for the engine temp/revs/speed in mph & kph/amount of fuel in the tank/power reading from the battery and a fair few more.

link to the thread about it

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Sounds like a very good way,to double check,what
you have already set the needles to Gav,have i read correctly that your needles were just under
the Digital readout,?.
And is there a method to put the car back to
standard readings when you have done test mode,or is that accoplished by just turning the ignition off.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
just turn the ignition off and it reverts to normal :L

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Have you tried the car out in test mode Paul,did
you find your gauges readings just under the digital reading. :question:

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
compuwiz_uk said:
yep a digital speed reading, basically the reading your speedo gauge is getting from the ECU or wherever it gets it from.

i think it is access as follows - YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR TRIP MILEAGE READING SO IF YOU NEED IT MAKE A NOTE OF IT FIRST

press & hold the trip reset button & then turn the ignition either to setting 2 or all the way to engine start while still holding the trip reset until the trip readout changes ( i think it changes to TEST but dont hold me to it )

you can then let go og the trip button & you are able to scroll through the different settings by pressing the trip button.

there are digital readouts for the engine temp/revs/speed in mph & kph/amount of fuel in the tank/power reading from the battery and a fair few more.

link to the thread about it
Cheers for that matey, will give it a whirl when i get chance. :L

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried this test thing and it works a treat! Scrolled through various meaningless codes and stuff until i came upon SP00000. With the speedo showing 30mph the readout is showing between 30.5 and 30.8mph (or there abouts, the readout moves very quickly!), at 40mph on the speedo its showing again between 40.3 and 40.6 mph on the readout, and its the same at 50 (50.3 to 50.5), 60 (60.4 to 60.7), and 70mph (70.2 to 70.5). Chuffed to bits! I couldnt have got it much closer if id have tried! Test mode also shows revs and it turns out my needle is about 10rpm out, but theres no way im faffing about over 10rpm! Although looking at the dials at night reveals that ive not pushed the fuel gauge needle on far enough! :annoyed: (too much light showing from under the needle) Will have to put that right when im next off work.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
I bet you do some more phaffing,to get the needles
pushed well home,that is the one thing i forgot
to mention about them,but at the time,we were
more concerned with getting the job done,well
done for getting the readings that close.
NOW GET PHAFFING :} :} :}

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.