Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oday, 02:39 PM

Hi, can anyone advise me as to why the speedo drive ( gearbox end) doesn't turn ?

The gearbox is I believe a pretty standard 4 speed ford box..the engine is a 1980 2.0 pinto, both these were from the donor car for my Ford Spartan which I've owned for about 14 years, she's been off the road for the last 7 years whilst I fiddled and farted about doing odds and sods.I really cant remember if the speedo worked before this

Last year I decided to get the speedo working with a new cable which I did just before I went to the pub!

Hey presto..the speedo worked fine for about 3 miles then stopped and upon investigation I realised that I hadn't tied the cable away from the exhaust and it melted the outer cable and had snapped the inner drive cable ( too excited about being let out to go to the pub!)..fair enough reason!

So another £20 for a new inner and today I finally got round to fit the cable an thought I would just spin the inner by hand before I fitted the speedo back into the dash.. I have just found that the drive on the gearbox doesn't turn anymore..it just won't budge.

Has anyone got ideas on what to do next?..I really don't want to have to either replace or have to remove the box for repair...I have a suspicion that I may have to do this...over to you..I'm stumped

Regards

Bao-lou

HA...after some serious thinking..would I be right in assuming that the drive won't turn until the vehicle is mooving???..If so then I'm a numpty

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
HA...after some serious thinking..would I be right in assuming that the drive won't turn until the vehicle is mooving???..If so then I'm a numpty
I'd expect the gearbox end to be "stuck" as it should be connected to the output shaft fairly well.

So yeah, unless the wheels are spinning I very much doubt the cable will be spinning :L

Reactions: TreborB

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hi

You may have to remove end of cable at gearbox then lift one rear wheel of the ground. If you get someone to rotate wheel and prop shaft you should see end of gear rotate inside tail shaft.

Teeth on gearwheel are made from a form of nylon, if gear does not turn with road wheel a few teeth may of sheared off or warn away.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts